small clunk in front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clok1966

Reaction score
98 expy, when i go around a corner and hit any kind of bump i sometime hear a small clunk. I dont think its CV joints as the standard sharp corners in forward and reverse to test produce no noise.. you need to hit some kind of bump. Bearings.. again doubtfull this is not a huge clunk.. but a clunk.. bearings would need some huge gaps to make it.. My guess is a bushing of some kind.. but this truck is new to me.. so no idea where the wear out spots are..

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
98 expy, when i go around a corner and hit any kind of bump i sometime hear a small clunk. I dont think its CV joints as the standard sharp corners in forward and reverse to test produce no noise.. you need to hit some kind of bump. Bearings.. again doubtfull this is not a huge clunk.. but a clunk.. bearings would need some huge gaps to make it.. My guess is a bushing of some kind.. but this truck is new to me.. so no idea where the wear out spots are..

Wheel hub going bad? Jack expy and see if wheel has lateral play.
Screws on top of struts loose?
Bad struts?

cheers :)

masterhacker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks sway bar link (yes they can clunk if they break) and finally cv joints

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ball joints

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is funny, because I now have a "clunk" myself after my latest trail ride a week ago. Im thinking its ball joints also. Mine are old… Im thinking ill just replace the upper control arms, ball joints, and bushings all at the same time.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

"Moog" part numbers: K8722T & K8724T

OP
OP
C

clok1966

Reaction score
lots of good advice.. and a bit "as I thought" no Known bad spots it seems, just all the standards..

I may be wrong on Wheel bearings.. I have had a couple of newer cars with the same clunk with bad wheel bearings.. all front wheel drive cars.. after they changed from old style angled bearings to flat type.. cheap (or bad) bearling can make this noise..

not going to get to it for awhile, but when I figure it out I will post what it was.. spring is here, the motorcycle is top priority right now :)

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to have a clunk on bumps, ended up being that my sway bar wasn't bolted to each side, it was kinda just hanging there and was free to rotate. They never bolted it back up proper after fixing some brake lines in that area