Snow & 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Well after all my mods this past year I was curious as to how my Expy will do in the snow now with the "minor" increase in torque.

Guess I will keep wondering because I think we have had a total of 1" of snow this season. :(

:wtf:

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Minor". I'm almost scared to ask what you would consider "major". Haha

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
My Expy handles the snow great as long as you pay attention to the truck. The big thing I found with the truck is if you have the LS rear end, if you feel the truck shudder a little bit, you are loosing traction on 1 tire in the rear and you need to ease off the gas just a little bit. If you stay on the gas or give it more, if you happen to break both rear wheels loose, the rear end WILL!!!!!!! come around in a heartbeat. Makes for some interesting times.

Be kind with the gas, point the wheels where you want the truck to go and it will amaze you where it will end up. If you need to play, find a parking lot and spin that puppy around. My wife always cussed up a storm when I played as she swore I was laying the truck on its side because all she should see is the snow on the ground as the truck went around and around. LMAO.

OP
OP
toms89

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I have played in the snow plenty with mine...its a blast. Just not since my mods...little concerned the excessive torque may make it less friendly in the snow.

The traction lock in these things work well..same as my mustang. Makes me kinda glad my work van has open diff as it is much less likely to fish tail. Due to all the weight it actually does ok with the open diff.

Edwindo

Reaction score
Well, if you need to play in some snow, you're sure welcome here in CO! I've got about 5-6" out there right now, and we're supposed to get hammered with more through tonight into tomorrow.

Drove around in it tonight, had to go visit some friends, and it's the first time I've driven ours in any significant snow. Worked good. Can't imagine what that blown motor would be like out there. :smokin:

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have dedicated studded snow tires, run in 4x4 all winter and i still have to be easy on it. then again we dont salt and lightly sand.

yours would be a hell of a handful with regular all seasons/A/T's IMO

i know after switching to 4:10s in my explorer i had to ease into it alot more.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
barely any snow in northern NY.... but if you have too much torq... feel free to come up here and swap motors with me.... I will provide beer and assistance if you wanna swap...lol

Idahokid

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have gotten up to a little over 100 inches of snow in winter.Normal is 60-70 inches.This will be my first winter with it.It has Michellin X radial LT tires.We will see.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My a4wd setting works great for me. We plow through some deep stuff finding places to snowmobile, and i've never been stuck with the trailer on the back. And that was on old 31" A/T's. I can't wait to try my new tires this year, as long as we actually get snow...

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i stay locked in 4x4 high but use A4wd in the fall/spring when the roads have dry patches.

bringing this thread up reminds me as i watch the leaves turn yellow outside and the mornings get ever chillier that winter will be here very soon!

sorta miss the snow...we'll see if we get the record breaking snowfall like we did last year.
055.jpg
2012-02-04_11-23-42_492.jpg