So the check engine light started blinking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, hah, I forgot to mention, that "occassional noise" I hear from the rear end? Well, it now makes grinding sounds anytime I'm going over bumps at a super low speed or wrangling it into the driveway...

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's that old saying. If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all! Remember what Ford stands for, Found on the road dead!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
flashing/blinking cel usually shows witch cyl is acting up, could be a plug, coil, wiring or a combo,

easy first step is swap coils from another cyl, then go from there,

misfiring can plug cats-verters,

get/pull & work the code(s?), as a fundamental

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Yea, I figured it was misfiring, but not sure what the cause is or if it's something I should be worried about.
Here's what I would be thinking if my 2003 did that.....

Ok, I had a CEL flashing and it went away. First off since it happened when I punched it --- I'm not gonna do that for now. Engine obviously does'nt like that. CEL isn't on right now so I'm probably OK to drive right now. I wanna get my code reader on that ASAP and see if I have any codes stored and address any I find (if I find any) since there was/is some kind of problem lurking in there ready to come back under the next stress condition. Once I read codes and have a way to read codes I may just punch it again and see if I can get a code out of it and see if the CEL will come back on. Go from there. Better to find and fix an intermittent problem before it becomes a regular one. This might be a warning shot over the bow that I should learn from!

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a misfire could be mild/random, might just act up under load etc or

could be severe, comes up easy, frequent/constant etc

eitherway, usually gets worse, that may play out slow over time, or bite quick & sudden,

a miss ruins smooth running most noticeable when stopped & idling & shows less power unmistakably

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's what I would be thinking if my 2003 did that.....

Ok, I had a CEL flashing and it went away. First off since it happened when I punched it --- I'm not gonna do that for now. Engine obviously does'nt like that. CEL isn't on right now so I'm probably OK to drive right now. I wanna get my code reader on that ASAP and see if I have any codes stored and address any I find (if I find any) since there was/is some kind of problem lurking in there ready to come back under the next stress condition. Once I read codes and have a way to read codes I may just punch it again and see if I can get a code out of it and see if the CEL will come back on. Go from there. Better to find and fix an intermittent problem before it becomes a regular one. This might be a warning shot over the bow that I should learn from!

Exactly! and, of course....

P0300 Random Misfire Detected

Just happens to be the code, yay.... I'm thinking I'll take it to a shop, ask them to check what's going on, and get them to also fix up my rear AC while I'm at it... I agree with the "don't push it" part if what you said, but I'm not sure gunning it again and seeing if it happens again is a good idea. :c What kind of price would I be looking at depending on what random thing is being misfire-ey? And I sure hope the AC is an easy fix... I think part of the reason my mileage is so terrible is because not only do I always have the AC on (so I don't die), but it's always on max because the front air has to try cooling down the entire car. Perhaps one of those police things they put behind the front seats would help :shrug:

Honestly, I'd probably work on it myself if I had a garage, but during the day it's super hot and humid and during the night the air is half air, half bugs, and it's still humid. Perhaps not a problem for a normal person, but weighing 490 pounds puts a damper on... basically everything. I was sweating my ass off at walmart today, and that place is (mostly) cooled... ugh.

I even want to work on it myself, it sounds fun and most importantly cheap!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The AC setting has no effect on the amount of hp used to run the compressor. Max ac recycles the cabin air - cooling and reducing the interior humidity level. The regular ac setting sources outside air.