Some help 2007 EL questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outdare

Reaction score
Make sure the spark plugs have been changed. That is a pain if you do it yourself or expensive to have it done at the dealer or independent shop. I have a 07 EL and I broke 3 plugs when changing the spark plugs. The difference in power is noticeable for me as well as th 1.5 mpg I gained. My expie has 107k miles.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you are Ford fan, they are certainly needed. I own many Fords and have had the various rigs.

I own a Ford Expedition with the Towing package, the 5.4 and the 3.73 gear ratio. For me its not a tow rig. It has very good power just off idle but nothing at mid range.

Shit, a ranger, I have had many of those and not a very powerful rig IMO. But thats the nice things about opinions and ********, we all have them.

OP
OP
P

pennyanguy

Reaction score
Make sure the spark plugs have been changed. That is a pain if you do it yourself or expensive to have it done at the dealer or independent shop. I have a 07 EL and I broke 3 plugs when changing the spark plugs. The difference in power is noticeable for me as well as th 1.5 mpg I gained. My expie has 107k miles.

OK, found another one , 98K miles in Virginia...so should be rust free (they say it is) one owner clean carfax but with no service history on the carfax or the autocheck (odd?) so I am going down Monday to look it over...

What should I look for?
how do I see if the plugs have been changed? how would I know visually?
how do I know if it has the HD towing package?
anything else? I have read posts about Phase noise...what does that sound like? can you here it from inside the cabin?

I spoke to a local ford dealer near the dealer I am buying it from (BTW it was a trade in...buying it from a NEW car dealer...I have learned to stay away from the used car outlets)..they can do a prepurchase inspection for $150 seems reasonable...but they say its pretty basic , check brakes, suspension, electrical...is that worth it since I am buying from a Honda dealer anyway...they have checked things over already.

I really want one of these...but can not afford a 2011/2012...just not in the cards. I am so concerned about buying a 2007 though...I don't tow a lot...but the primary reason for buying this is to be able to tow the camper farther then 50 miles (about as far as I dared towing with my old trailblazer)...the camper is not heavy ( 4900# max GVW)...biggest concern for me is making sure its a solid vehicle I wont be throwing thousands into...any advise you guys could give would be greatly appreciated!

outdare

Reaction score
You can take the truck to a mechanic you trust and have them look it over. Bring up the plug concerms etc. I would make them do the 100k service and plug change as part of the deal. I have not had any issues with the cam phaser etc. I did have my mechanic check it . At 98k the fluids need to be changed brake, coolant, trans flush rear diff. That way they own it. Second you can buy a aftermarket warranty if you want to go that route.

OP
OP
P

pennyanguy

Reaction score
Unfortunately the truck is 400 miles from me...so bringing it to my trusted mechanic is not possible. Already negotiated a deal, so including anything more is probably not in the cards either (unless I see something I don't like when I get there)...that's why I want to know what to look for before I get there.

outdare

Reaction score
I would used the maintenance as part of the negotiations. Also look at texas direct auto. They sell on ebay but they deliver and guarantee the condition etc.
https://www.texasdirectauto.com. They are local for me, but that is where I bought mine.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bring a change of clothes and a flash light. Crawl under it and get a good look at it from one end to the other. make sure that you check for leaks check for rust at the radiator support and at the rockers also inspect all of the those body stiffener braces, they look like small frames and they have a tendency to rust they get flaky inside.

Look for bubbling paint on the Tailgate and under the front lip of the hood. Check for cracking paint on the roof in the corners where the roof creases meet. Look at the hinges in the rear liftgate glass, you are looking for small hairline cracks. Pop the rear window and make sure the wiper turns freely.

Inside if it has heated and cooled seats make sure they work The seats should get hot pretty quickly. Grab the top and bottom of the steering wheel and see if it wiggles. On my 05 it was wiggling, I'm not sure if it was a loose nut or some other issue.

Run the engine and listen for a tick tick tick sound at idle coming from the front of the engines that will be to sound of the cam phasers. It isn't necessarily an immediate requirement to fix them but in about 50,000 -60,000 miles you will need to have them and the timing chain replaced.

After you buy it change all of the fluids and the spark plugs. Have them put in new cam phaser solenoids even if you don't need them. It will keep the problems at bay.

OP
OP
P

pennyanguy

Reaction score
Andy,

That's all good advise, I didn't know there were issues with the roof welds and rear deck hinge points...all great info.

This plug issue is bugging me...is there any way to ID the factory plugs vs replacement ones? are all replacement ones not two piece? (I can not believe they made a two piece plug!)... how about coil packs?

I have driven a few of these now (4) so I think I have an idea how they should feel... any hints of stuff to look/listen for under hard acceleration that would be an indicator of troubles? All 4 I have driven have been smooth, not really rockets but decent acceleration if you stepped on it.

One thing I did not notice...do there have an instant mileage function on the info center?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy,

That's all good advise, I didn't know there were issues with the roof welds and rear deck hinge points...all great info.

It's more of a paint issue, although I have heard of some guys that that had to have sheet metal cracks welded but that has not been my experience.

This plug issue is bugging me...is there any way to ID the factory plugs vs replacement ones? are all replacement ones not two piece? (I can not believe they made a two piece plug!)... how about coil packs?

I believe the newer plugs are one piece. Mine had new plugs in it when I bought it so in the three years I had it I just drove it and didn't have any bad plugs or coil packs

I have driven a few of these now (4) so I think I have an idea how they should feel... any hints of stuff to look/listen for under hard acceleration that would be an indicator of troubles? All 4 I have driven have been smooth, not really rockets but decent acceleration if you stepped on it.
Listen for grinding noises coming from the front wheels, if you hear it then switch to all wheel drive AWD, and if the noise goes away you could have a bad IWE solenoid. Of course listen for rear wheel bearing noises that change pitch and frequency when the vehicle slows down.

One thing I did not notice...do there have an instant mileage function on the info center?
My 05 had it in the message screen in the center of the dash, The 17 has it but it's buried three or four screens down on the left hand display.

OP
OP
P

pennyanguy

Reaction score
Well, For all of you that may be interested...I bought the 2007 I went to look at in VA. Beautiful truck with every option but Sirrus...SUPER clean, no hood or deck corrosion, NO rust anywhere , even underneath...even on the exhaust! I spent a good two hours under and throughout the truck before committing. The guy I was dealing with pretty much left me alone until I went looking for him...so I gotta give him credit for that.

I have not yet confirmed that the plugs or coils have been changed...another sales guy that supposedly took the thing on trade from the old folks who had it said the old guy told him he just spent $1K having a dealer replace all the coils and plugs....but who really knows... I offered him a reward if he could get me in touch with the original owner... nothing yet though.

I left Chantilly, VA and drove directly to my dads...about 200 miles, that evening...on the highway, dead flat roads going through Eastern VA...at 65-70 mph on the cruise she was getting 21 MPG... I thought that was pretty damn good.

On the 10 hours trip back to upstate NY I averaged 18 mpg still awesome figuring I was going over the Poconos.

ONLY thing they did not have was the 5 digit code for the door keypad...anyone know if there is a way to override that?