somethings wrong with???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcat

Reaction score
I have a 00 awd expy. Today I was on the hiighway and I heared a slight whine from the front end. Then I felt what I think is the 4wd engage but it didn't stay that way. It wined and I can feel something going on with the front end off an on for about 10 miles No lights came on or anything. Is my transfer case going out?

OP
OP
F

Fastcat

Reaction score
Please help. It only accurs at highway speeds (50+mph) and like i stated it makes a whining noise for a few secs then it pulls to the right (pass side)... Feels like something is locking up and this occurs for a few secs also.

So basically im driving down the highway (oh yea, it only does it when im speeding up) i hear a whine from the front end, when the whine stops and the truck pulls to the right. Then i let up off the gas a little and it drives normal after maybe 10 to 15sec after. No warning lights come on at all. And it drives normal on the street. Any ideas?

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please help. It only accurs at highway speeds (50+mph) and like i stated it makes a whining noise for a few secs then it pulls to the right (pass side)... Feels like something is locking up and this occurs for a few secs also.

So basically im driving down the highway (oh yea, it only does it when im speeding up) i hear a whine from the front end, when the whine stops and the truck pulls to the right. Then i let up off the gas a little and it drives normal after maybe 10 to 15sec after. No warning lights come on at all. And it drives normal on the street. Any ideas?

Maybe your right hub actuator gone bad...

Check to see if any of IWE solenoid vacuum hose is leaking.. Disconnect vacuum connection from IWE solenoid and attach a vacuum pump w/gauge to the larger tube. If vacuum is lost, then you have a leak somewhere...

I would then check your hub actuators.. Disconnect the larger of the 2 vacuum connects on the hub actuator. if vacuum is lost, then you found the problem. If not, then you have a hose issue, that needs to be traced...

If you want to be safe.. Just change out the IWE solenoid anyways... It may help..

Have fun :)

Last edited:

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds to me like the awd is engaging due to a speed difference between the front and rear axles. this could be tire size/wear issue or a speed sensor problem.

OP
OP
F

Fastcat

Reaction score
It must be tire wear.... My front right tire (the same side it pulls to when all this happens) is bald on the outside with tread on the inside. I havent driven the truck in a few weeks so once i get a new tire ill update you guys

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
No IWE's on 2000 expy.

To be safe I would check bearings and cv joint on passenger side front tire.

Also you need to have wheel alignment checked with uneven tire wear.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Old Man has that problem with his tires when he parks in the parking garages in downtown Minneapolis. They use tight spiral exits to filter the traffic down to the street, and the sharp, constant turning burns the tread off the outside of the front right and the inside of the front left from the heavy leaning his Expy does. If you park in ramps like that for work or something, that could be the cause as well.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Old Man has that problem with his tires when he parks in the parking garages in downtown Minneapolis. They use tight spiral exits to filter the traffic down to the street, and the sharp, constant turning burns the tread off the outside of the front right and the inside of the front left from the heavy leaning his Expy does. If you park in ramps like that for work or something, that could be the cause as well.

Alignment, alignment, alignment

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SWIDDY25

Reaction score
Transfer case, try cutting the wire that activates the clutches gor the t-case, had to do this on mine because it kept randomly locking into 4wd, with wire cut you will still have 4wd but only when you select 4hi and 4lo, you will be in 2 wheel the rest of time