Spark Plug Boot Seal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks to be the edge of spark plug tube seals, typically embedded/installed on the underside of the valve cover then pressed/pulled in when you tighten the bolts of the cover. I replaced them on my 2.3Supercharged Mercedes. When posts "go missing":, many won't bother.

If a vehicle sits, sometimes they shrink them leak and fill the tube at next startup.....as happened to me....huge smoke out the rear was a clue, as was the miss!

OP
OP
NoScope

NoScope

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff.
If that O-Ring were to leak however how could that cause any smoke, a miss etc...? Even a bit of water in there would still be kept out by the plug itself. I do understand the Valve Cover possibility. Taking a better look at Covers in the morning.
3 Ford Stealers called. 2 Straight up said they have no idea.. like wtf? The 3rd in CherryHill NJ spent dam near an hour and was stumped as well. Told me they'd contact me later in the week. But what's wrong with taking 2 minutes to walk into the shop and asked the most experienced mech his thoughts? "Uhhh we're not actually allowed to do that" In other words Bring it in...
The Pic is clear as day and I pulled out 8. Wished I'd have pulled out a Weasely Wabbit instead.
What do you mean 'Posts Go Missing'?
Thanks again for taking the time.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The oil, in my case. The leaking seals allowed the oil to fill the spark plug tube and shorted the plug so it didn't fire. Feeding raw fuel into a cat converter makes a heck of a lot of smoke!

When I asked a Mercedes dealer, they gave me the same blank stare.....so I fixed it myself!

OP
OP
NoScope

NoScope

Reaction score
Tried a few more dealers in PA today, still no answer. Gettin comical at this point.
The plugs on 5.4 don't go thru the Valve Cover at all. You're not related to Pineapple Kush, are you? lol

Attachments

• Ford54-3V.jpg
    Ford54-3V.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360