Spark Plug Change on 3V motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I had a misfire on cylinder #8 and decided to just replace that plug and coil pack. I finally got around to it today, and what a PITA. It would have to be #8 back behind and under fuel lines, connections etc. I knew I was in for a little work beforehand and bought a swivel for the ratchet, but it was still fairly difficult.
BUT, the worst part was not getting the coil pack screw off....it was removing the plug!! I have heard the plugs are difficult to remove due to corrosion with the heads, but that is usually in higher mileage vehicles. My Expy only has 52K on it, and the plug was nearly frozen. I was afraid I was going to snap the ceramic off, but thankfully it held up. I had to loosen it a few ticks of the ratchet, then tighten it, then loosen/tighten, etc until it was finally free enough to fully remove. Once removed, I saw that the plug tip was pretty worn. The tips are pretty small to begin with, but mine was almost gone.
I am going to at least remove the other 7 plugs to break them loose from the head, but if I am going to do that, I may as well just replace them.
So my advice to everyone else with the 3V heads, check you plugs and remove them occasionally to keep them from corroding to the head.

OP
OP
Stoned06

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are 2 pics of the tip.

Attachments

• Plug 001.jpg
    Plug 001.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 599
  • Plug 003.jpg
    Plug 003.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 499

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, seems like the problem that affects the F150s. You were lucky you didn't snap the plug (which happens a lot.) Granted, they do make a tool specifically for removing the snapped piece, but it would have been an extra hassle.

There is a specific procedure to follow when removing plug from a 3V 5.4L. Hah, and to think that these things are supposed to go for 100k miles.

OP
OP
Stoned06

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you happen to know the procedure to remove them? I really can't afford to break any of them when I change the rest out.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have always used anti seize on plug threads for thirty years. Never had a problem. I was told that i was asking for trouble with my 2002 5.4 motor but i replaced the plugs at 75,000 miles and have 100k now. I realize that ford has had some problems with plugs blowing out and stripping threads in the motor, but at this time i have not had a problem with #4 and #8 plugs after the cops failed and i replaced the plugs as well. This has worked for me but attempt it at your own risk.

OP
OP
Stoned06

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, the 2002 2V heads had issues with plugs blowing out (esp. with the Lightning engine). They fixed that by changing to 8 thread heads from 4 thread ones in early 2003. All was OK until the 3V head came out in 2004 for the new F150, and 2005 in the Expy.
It looks as if I will be buying the Lisle tool for removing broken plugs before I proceed replacing the other 7.

OP
OP
Stoned06

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Elvato. I wonder how long before Ford/Motorcraft comes out with the one-piece plugs like the Champion ones.

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
plugs

I had a problem with #4 plug, blew out twice on me, busted coil pack both times, finaly had shop helicoil it, so far thats the only one ive had probs with,had all of them pulled and locktited in when i did tune up, no problems since, i ended up putting splitfire plugs in, much better