Spark Plug holes with antifreeze in them (leaking t-connector)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Schaefer

Reaction score
Discovered I had a problem under the hood of my 2102 Expedition EL Limited. The plug wells had pink fluid in them on the passenger side of the engine. :-( I mopped up the liquid in the 4 plug holes (wells?) with paper towels and a screwdriver to get in there deep. I was pretty sure the T-connector was the culprit since it was mostly wet in the front three holes.
upload_2019-11-30_21-51-53.png

I decided I didn't want to mess with the PIA firewall hose disconnect others have complained about, nor the expensive replacement hose and instead I went to Auto Zone and got a 3/4" T-Connector (Koehler Enterprises) Part# H 343 for about $5 and some hose clamps.

upload_2019-11-30_21-48-50.png

upload_2019-11-30_21-55-4.png

upload_2019-11-30_21-55-21.png

I had to cut that plastic Ford 3-way hose clamp mechanism with some nipper pliers and work them off gently around the hose, being careful not to damage the hose. I tried to remove the factory t-connector from the hose, but it broke all to easily in my hands. Probably why it was leaking, I think it got too brittle. So, I used channel lock pliers to squeeze and shatter the part of the connector still n each hose end and used needle nose pliers to remove the chunks. I was careful to always aim the hoses down so I could get all these little pieces out.

upload_2019-11-30_21-59-19.png

OP
OP
David Schaefer

David Schaefer

Reaction score
I put three catch pans under the vehicle and used a piece of cardboard under the hoses before disconnecting it. This way, the spark plug wells would stay dry and I could capture what came out of the heater hoses. I expected more fluid to come out, but really, there was very little, maybe a cup or two?
upload_2019-11-30_22-16-12.png

Here’s the finished result. I think this will do just fine. I just hope the Y-connector lasts a lot longer!

upload_2019-11-30_22-16-21.png

Robert Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks like you didn’t a good job! I had the same repair of the T fittings done on my ‘08. I asked my mechanic to do the same thing you did but he is an authorized Ford mechanic so he said no. Good luck, I hope your fix lasts longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Authorized ford..my azz! I just had an old Town Car with a pinhole in the lower hose assembly from where it lays on the steering box and rubbed a soft spot in it.
The hose is a fortune!- for a radiator hose- like $80+.
I cut it and put a 5 inch piece of galvanized pipe into it. You can get plastic gray radiator hose menders but they WILL get old and disfigure themselves and pop off. My metal will not.
If Ford factory designs and repairs were so good, I wouldn't have to go behind them and fix stuff in the first place.

Hoffy90

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up! I discovered I had this issue yesterday and quickly fixed it following this!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotta love a home-repair! Nice touch slipping the cardboard behind so we could clearly see what you did.

Nice job!!

jeff

OP
OP
David Schaefer

David Schaefer

Reaction score
Gotta love a home-repair! Nice touch slipping the cardboard behind so we could clearly see what you did. Nice job!!
jeff
The cardboard was actually used to keep the anti-freeze out of the spark plug holes when I took it apart. But yes, they do add a nice background too :)

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 08 had the exact same failure but I couldn't find a T- piece of the correct size so ended up replacing the hoses and T-connector with the genuine ford part (cost ~$100) which was expensive for a leaking T-piece, but that was 4 years ago and never had an issue since!! Your repair looks well done.

Swede252

Reaction score
I just replaced my "T" fitting with a brass one from Lowes. Snipped off the plastic shrink clamps at the holes with wire cutters. Then with channel locks I squeezed the internals and cleaned out the hose ends with a shop vac. I did look into them with a light to be sure all the plastic was out and the bottom hose was quick released before hand. So a $5.00 solid brass T and 3 clamps was a $10.00 fix.

Here is the link to what I did.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your coils and/or plugs will be fooked and you will develop a misfire sooner than later