Spark plug replacement at dealership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SailorKane

Reaction score
I had mine done at a dealership a few years ago and asked them specifically what spark plugs they would use and they said new ones that would not break.

Old Guy

Reaction score
If you have the newer plugs, change them yourself. On your receipt for the plug job they did, the part number should tell you which one is installed.
I changed my plugs when I replaced the coils at about 90K miles. I did go to Ford and get the plugs there.
Note: Ford as well as the other carmakers file what is called a "pick list" this document shows which engine, the engine serial number, tranny, etc down to which cigar lighter was installed. The Ford dealer parts guys can access this by simply inputting the car VIN number. I had them print out one for me so I have it to refer to.
Moreover, the part numbers on the list also keep track of part substitutions. For instance: the may have changed vendors on a part. Instead of buying coils from Chang's factory, they now use Kimyan's factory. (I know I am being facetious) however, I come from a manufacturing background. In one case a sole supplier stopped making a certain IC. We had to redesign the whole module. That's why I went to the dealer. They have info that even NAPA doesn't have.
I agree with the above post about the dealer installing the better part called for on a TSB. They do not want to get sued.

blue oval guy

Reaction score
The older design plugs is no longer being used at Ford dealerships, there were TSB's on that issue and that Motorcraft plug was superceded.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
They stopped used the breakable two piece design in 09. so you shouldnt have them installed if you changed them prior to 09. If your gonna try to swap the plugs out, take your time as per instructions with the older two piece design, always blow out headers first of any debris.
And use a good penetrating oil...with the engine being as hot as you can get it without getting burned... Start slow, once plug pops, slowly turn until u can't turn by hand, then back off and repeat until u get the plug out, take ur time. Once you do get the plug out, you will be able to tell if dealer installed the newer design.. And then u will know if ur in for the long haul or not!
Ford recommends, changing plugs COLD. The dealer did mine. They had me drop it off, the night before. This was so the mechanic, could start in the morning, on a cold engine. He had no issues. The 'new' plugs have more threads and improved design.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theirs so many different theory's how to get out these stupid designed plugs it kills me. Cold, Hot, Luke warm, spray, then crack loose, then tighten, then impact only real quick. It's like reading about the best way to cook a Thanksgiving Turkey. I'd like to find the moron that designed these breakable plugs, introduce myself, then in one quick motion, kick him as hard as I can with my size 16E boots square in his nuts! And then say that's for all my buddies on the Expedition forum!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If a dealership had, and installed, the old 2-piece plugs after the TSB's were issued, they're going to be in some trouble if they break... ever.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford recommends, changing plugs COLD.
That may be Ford's recommendation but independent shops often change them HOT with a 3/8" impact gun. Some places remove the 4 plugs on one side, replace them, start the engine, get it up tom operating temp, and then do the other side.

Very high success rate!

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
That may be Ford's recommendation but independent shops often change them HOT with a 3/8" impact gun. Some places remove the 4 plugs on one side, replace them, start the engine, get it up tom operating temp, and then do the other side.

Very high success rate!
Ford instructs techs to remove them cold. I think they know more about there engines, than an 'independent shop'. I like you to explain, how to use a 3/8 impact gun, on the rear plugs. You can hardly see the back of the engine.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford's instructs techs to remove them cold. I think they know more about there engines, than an 'independent shop'. I like you to explain, how to use a 3/8 impact gun, on the rear plugs. You can hardly see the back of the engine.

Never assume the manufacturer or dealer know more about anything as you will eventually be wrong.

Many use a 3/8 air ratchet too. You have to remember ford or at least the dealer...MIGHT be ok if a plug or two breaks off. They then get more money to use the tool to pull it out....or sometimes even other things.

Most shops are too busy to want to make extra hard work like that for themselves and they have already priced the job so they just want them all to come out easily with no complications.
Soaking them, warming up but not hot, cracking loose and soaking again it the most common successful methods you will find if you research people doing them all the time.

Many say the speed/impacts of a small impact or air ratchet has cut down on the number of broken off ones.

If Ford was so smart...they would have never put a two piece plug design in there anyway...and they wouldn't have made many 2V heads with 3.5 threads in the spark plug hole!

It like the airline industry telling me they know how to run a business. I THINK NOT!
All would be bankrupt decades ago. Bailed out what is it once, twice, three times??? by the govt. Any they are the professional company that knows more than we do.
RIGHHHT!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev