squeaky windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rptr00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having an issue with the drivers front window. During cold weather when I roll it down, I get an awful loud squeaky sound. It doesnt happen when rolling up. It seems to have started around the time I had the window tinted although that was when the weather turned cooler too.

Anyone have any ideas? maybe a lubricant issue?

Titus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And no scratches on your window? On my old form explorer I had the same problem, found out the rubber was folding over itself grinding against the window. If sand gets in there from a car wash or highway, etc, your window may start showing scratches.

That may explain why it's not making the noise when you roll it up, only when it's rolling down. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
R

rptr00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes there are scratches that were there when I purchased it used last year. Where is the rubber arrea that you mentioned that was folding over? Inside the door or on top where the panel meets the window? I can see nothing unusual with the door panel installed

Titus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the inside the rubber line that keeps water from going into the doors shell, sometimes that gets caught on the window going down.

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no clue what it could be but thought I would compliment you on your Expy, very nice looking rig!

OP
OP
R

rptr00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for the compliment.

Well, its about 90 degrees outside right now and it rolls down nice and quiet. Its only when its cold and only the drivers front window. Oh well, summer is pretty much here so I guess it goes to the back burner til winter.

kickapebble

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my 04. It seems that if I pull the window twords the inside while it is lowering, the noise stops. I believe the problem is with the black weather strip at the base of the window on the outside. Last year, I pulled the door panel off and put the window down, then "moisturized" the strip with armor all and it seemed to work for a short while. You might try doing the same everytime you clean your rig, it has worked for me.

OP
OP
R

rptr00

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmm...need to try that. The squeek has stopped as it is summer and 100+ everyday. Its also bone dry w/ no humidity. again, its really a winter issue for some reason.

freitas

Reaction score
funny... i have the same problem but it's my passenger front and only when its hot.