Starter grinding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well here's a dumb thought! You've swapped out 5 or is it 6 starters, a ring gear, but never changed the starter solenoid on firewall. Sure sounds like the starter Bendix drive is trying to engage, but something's pulling it back. They don't fail often, but do. Buy a quality one, like Oem Ford or equivalent. I'd also pull the starter that's in there, and have an assistant crank engine with a socket/ratchet and fully inspect all teeth on ring gear. If one of your five chewed up the teeth, your looking at dressing the teeth with a sharp file, or another ring gear. As far as the starter falling out, wow! Their 3 bolts holding starter in. Whatever mechanic left all three bolts loose must have been high on something! Let us know your results.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

jasonmcc68

Reaction score
Well here's a dumb thought! You've swapped out 5 or is it 6 starters, a ring gear, but never changed the starter solenoid on firewall. Sure sounds like the starter Bendix drive is trying to engage, but something's pulling it back. They don't fail often, but do. Buy a quality one, like Oem Ford or equivalent. I'd also pull the starter that's in there, and have an assistant crank engine with a socket/ratchet and fully inspect all teeth on ring gear. If one of your five chewed up the teeth, your looking at dressing the teeth with a sharp file, or another ring gear. As far as the starter falling out, wow! Their 3 bolts holding starter in. Whatever mechanic left all three bolts loose must have been high on something! Let us know your results.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Sorry for not replying sooner on this. We ended up simultaneously replacing the battery, starter and flexplate all at the same time which fixed the problem completely or at least for the last 2 yrs which is longer than any of them have lasted before.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oof good luck with that job, I just replaced the Torque Converter and Starter on my 2007 and pulling the transmission out to access the converter/flex plate area was ALOT of work. Maybe it is easier to get the transmission off and separated on the older ones. My flex plate still looked great. On a side note my dads E-350 van made that ring gear noise for years due to an improperly aligned/shimmed starter, besides the noise he never had any problems.

Last edited: