Starting Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Josephgg

Reaction score
Hey everybody just bought an expedition 4x4 EB

Im having a little problem starting the vehicle (Sometimes)

It happened randomly yesterday, car wouldn't start. it would crank but it sounded like the starter had a spun gear (loud grinding noise) tried multiple times. called a tow truck and as soon as he arrived i tried to start it again for good measure (this time i was in neutral) and it fired up no issues!

got home, checked the battery and all connections, everything was good

i bought a new starter and replaced it anyways thinking it would solve my problems, (and boy were those mounting bolts a B***)installed it and it fired right up no issues, started even better and faster, drove it all day with no issues either!

that night after a quick stop at a friends it happened again! just a loud grind noise! ddamnit! my 3hrs of labor was worthless!

got out checked connections, shook up the battery, went to crank it and it fired right up!

my buddy said his car had the same issue when the starter would get hot? Im trying to figure this out before I decide to send it in and have it actually looked at

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

What you are describing sounds like missing teeth on the ring gear. If you have a 1/2" drive socket that fits the bolt on the balancer, extention and breaker bar you can turn the crankshaft clockwise @45 degrees the next time that happens. Try and start again. If it starts then you have two choices, live with it or pull the trans and have the ring gear replaced or if you have a torch replace it yourself.

Another option would be pull the starter, rotate the crankshaft while inspecting the ring gear for missing teeth.

OP
OP
Josephgg

Josephgg

Reaction score
Oh man this sounds like it's gonna be a serious pain to fix lol

Guess I might have to live with it..

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just so you know, you will only be able to live with it until it eats up the drive gear on the starter. Live with it long enough to schedule a time in the near future to fix it correctly.
It really isn't that bad of a repair if you have the correct tools and place to work on it. Just a matter of jumping in and getting it done.

jasonmcc68

Reaction score
Did you ever get this fixed? My issue was similar in the beginning. Just wondering what you did, I may have gotten mine fixed.