Starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeWI

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a 2011 limited EL and when I go to start it after it has warmed up and been running for awhile, nothing happens. It doesn't try to start, no click, and everything looks normal. No warning lights or blinking security light, the only fault that is on, is a green wrench icon. It starts great when it's cold, but not after it has warmed up. Here is what I have done:

1. Checked all fused and relays
2. Bypassed the wiring to the starter and jumped it directly - starts fine. (tested multiple times and when using the key to try and start right after it was just running, it fails)
3. Checked the voltage to the relay before and after starting (1.5V before and around 10V during key turning to start)
4. Jumped the relay, starts fine. Tried to start before and after jumping using the key, nothing.
5. Cleaned battery contacts and terminals
6. Swapped relays (not new, just with other working ones from other locations in the box)
7. Swapped fuses (again, not new, just with working ones)

If you pull the #2 HI Power relay for the starter (I think it's #2) in the engine compartment and try to start it, that is the exact problem I have.

Any ideas?

Ben Ford

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a 2011 limited EL and when I go to start it after it has warmed up and been running for awhile, nothing happens. It doesn't try to start, no click, and everything looks normal. No warning lights or blinking security light, the only fault that is on, is a green wrench icon. It starts great when it's cold, but not after it has warmed up. Here is what I have done:

2. Bypassed the wiring to the starter and jumped it directly - starts fine. (tested multiple times and when using the key to try and start right after it was just running, it fails)
3. Checked the voltage to the relay before and after starting (1.5V before and around 10V during key turning to start)
4. Jumped the relay, starts fine. Tried to start before and after jumping using the key, nothing.
6. Swapped relays (not new, just with other working ones from other locations in the box)

If you pull the #2 HI Power relay for the starter (I think it's #2) in the engine compartment and try to start it, that is the exact problem I have.

Any ideas?

You can test the relay itself by applying power and ground to the correct contacts and see that if it works.

It sounds like it is the relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Ford

Reaction score

Any ideas?

You can test the relay itself by applying power and ground to the correct contacts and see that if it works.

It sounds like it is the relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MikeWI

Reaction score
I have in a way tested the relay, I have swapped it with another. I would assume if it were the relay, wouldn't have failed in the new location?

I will check it tonight to verify it's functioning properly.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When you jump a relay and it starts fine that tells you that the problem is on the control side of the relay. The load side tested fine since it starts.
Move the gear selector up and back while trying to start, try starting in neutral also. If you find a spot where it will start then the transmission digital range selector is usually the problem. And it just so happens that the selector is part of the control circuit.

OP
OP
M

MikeWI

Reaction score
I have tried to start it in neutral, however I have not tried any other gear. I will try that later today.

Edit: I tried multiple gears, no luck. I should mention I can get this to repeat.

Once warmed up, I can literally start it, turn off, try to start (fails), turn the key to the off position and wait 20 secs, then start it. If I leave the key in the run position instead of turning it off, it wont start.

So I thought to myself the other night, maybe it has to do with the run position, but when I left the key in the run position for over an hour (from a cold start) it started just fine (it was hooked to a battery charger to keep from dying). Once it has warmed up though, the start position causes the failure.

I know this is confusing, so I may try to post a video later.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the starter and starting circuit?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikeWI

Reaction score
Quick update: My wife went to start the car this morning (cold start) and it wouldn't turn. Below is what happened:

Turned key to start - 1/2 crank then stopped
Key off (5 secs)
Turned key to start - 1/4 crank then stopped
Key off (10 secs)
Turned key to start - cranked to start (struggled a little, but started)

Not sure where to go from here. I didn't have a chance to jump it (running late) and I hate to just be a part replacer and throw in a starter. I have a wiring diagram book on order, but wondering if anyone else has some thoughts?

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your battery connections also. There are weird problems that can happen if those are a little corroded. I had a vehicle doing a similar random start that was just connections.

OP
OP
M

MikeWI

Reaction score
I cleaned them, but is there anything else I should be looking for? As far as I can tell they look good, but I could be missing something.

OP
OP
M

MikeWI

Reaction score
Hey All,

Sorry for the late update. I did end up finding the issue. It ended up being a shorted wire right next to the exhaust manifold on the passenger side of the engine. Looks like a plastic bracket broke loose and allowed the wire harness to rub. Ended up rubbing the park/neutral safety switch wire and when the manifold would heat up, no start. I soldered the wire back together, tied it up, and haven't had any issues since.