steering mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klimford

Reaction score
2020 Expedition, HD tow package. Replaced factory Hankooks with Michelin M/S. Big improvement in ride and handling with one exception. Occasionally when traveling 60 to 65 mph on smooth highway I'll feel a slight tug to the left, as if a tire was coming out of a trough in the road. This lasts only a second or two then back to normal. This will happen two or three times in 100 miles. Wife, who is usually right, thinks it must have something to do with the new tires while I suspect something amiss in the steering linkage. Any thoughts?

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2020 Expedition, HD tow package. Replaced factory Hankooks with Michelin M/S. Big improvement in ride and handling with one exception. Occasionally when traveling 60 to 65 mph on smooth highway I'll feel a slight tug to the left, as if a tire was coming out of a trough in the road. This lasts only a second or two then back to normal. This will happen two or three times in 100 miles. Wife, who is usually right, thinks it must have something to do with the new tires while I suspect something amiss in the steering linkage. Any thoughts?
Are you sure it is not your lane departure system pushing you back to the center of the lane??

OP
OP
K

klimford

Reaction score
Are you sure it is not your lane departure system pushing you back to the center of the lane??
That very well might be it. I checked and my system and it is set to medium and aid. But if the lane assist is the cause then I'm wondering why it wasn't evident in 18,000 miles with the original Hankook tires. Maybe because the Michelins handle so differently? In any event, I'll check it out next time I'm on a highway with lane markings (I live on gravel and blacktop roads with no lines).

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That very well might be it. I checked and my system and it is set to medium and aid. But if the lane assist is the cause then I'm wondering why it wasn't evident in 18,000 miles with the original Hankook tires. Maybe because the Michelins handle so differently? In any event, I'll check it out next time I'm on a highway with lane markings (I live on gravel and blacktop roads with no lines).
Maybe the tire installer pressed the button to turn it on.

OP
OP
K

klimford

Reaction score
The only way I know to access the lane alert is by toggling deep in the menu display readout and it doesn't look like you can turn it off, only adjust alert/aid sensitivity. Maybe there's a simple on/off button I don't know about? That would be good to know.

Kudie

Reaction score
I believe there is a button above center screen on my 21 limited to turn on and off

Dewey3

Reaction score
I believe there is a button above center screen on my 21 limited to turn on and off

This... The settings in the menu system is for the sensitivity. There is a dash button for turning it off and on, and if you turn it off, it will stay off until turned on again. So I would think like @wakeboarder as well... maybe the dealer turned it on when installing the new tires. Easy enough to check... just change lanes to left and to the right without using your turn signals, and you will get the "nudge" back to your lane.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This... The settings in the menu system is for the sensitivity. There is a dash button for turning it off and on, and if you turn it off, it will stay off until turned on again. So I would think like @wakeboarder as well... maybe the dealer turned it on when installing the new tires. Easy enough to check... just change lanes to left and to the right without using your turn signals, and you will get the "nudge" back to your lane.
Just a note that he will need to be going greater than 45 mph.

Edit: corrected typo

Last edited: