Steering Vibration 2022 Ford Expedition Max SPP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The same tires, Grabbers? Seems like these things are really bad
Yea. The generals are terrible.
I’m trying to get a credit from ford to use on a set of my choosing. I’ll cover any price difference. But the generals are the cheapest option. So I might be out $100/tire

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the dealer is keeping our Expedition for a day or two to check the driveshaft balance. I told my service guy to watch one of the tires wobble on the balancer and there’s the culprit. He says he pretty much agrees, but we’ll let them attempt some other troubleshooting before they replace tires. (hopefully)

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the dealer is keeping our Expedition for a day or two to check the driveshaft balance. I told my service guy to watch one of the tires wobble on the balancer and there’s the culprit. He says he pretty much agrees, but we’ll let them attempt some other troubleshooting before they replace tires. (hopefully)

Its all Ford's BS to get you to go away and not have to buy you new tires!

Skud

Reaction score
Bought my SPP two weeks ago. Took it back next day for strong vibrations over 75mph and was told the soonest I could get in was two weeks. Great. :thumbsdown:

Took it in today and this is what I got back. Yep - they wire wheeled every wheel. Went to the manager and they’re supposed to be replacing all the wheels.
Well, almost a month has gone by and nothing from the dealer.. I've been trying to get ahold of them for a couple weeks - no call back. Finally the service manager calls me back and says they're not going to replace the wheels - they are going to repair them. I argued a bit, but they were firm.

Ok, dropped it off this morning and checked at the end of the day - still not done. Drive down there to get the car seats for the kids and this is what I see.. Yes, this is my brand new Expedition in the air, lifted by the running boards..

IMG_7381.jpeg

IMG_7382.jpeg

IMG_7383.jpeg

Driver's side seems worse than the passenger. Looks like they might have crushed the corner of the bracket on the driver's side and probably dented/bent the running boards.

kpwhalen830

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Expedition Platinum MAX that I took delivery of on October 18th. The vibration was addressed with a normal balance before I took delivery, it wasn't fixed.
I had it looked at again and they did a road force balance and replaced 2 tires. This still didn't fix it. Back for the third time they did another road force balance and replaced a third tire, still not fixed. They put rims and tires from a 2020 with no better results. Tried rims and tires(continental) from a new Navigator with no better results. Service Manager said we have beat the tire/rim issue to death and that it must be something else(I suggested a drive shaft right away).
The Ford service hotline suggested replacing the left front half shaft. Not resolved. That was done today, I am now taking it home and waiting for what they will do next.

I did have the exact same General tires on my 2015 Expedition with zero issues so don't buy into that being the problem. It came with them new when I bought it used in 2017 and I had no issues, I replaced them when the time came with Mastercraft tires and then replaced those with more Generals again with zero issues.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Expedition Platinum MAX that I took delivery of on October 18th. The vibration was addressed with a normal balance before I took delivery, it wasn't fixed.
I had it looked at again and they did a road force balance and replaced 2 tires. This still didn't fix it. Back for the third time they did another road force balance and replaced a third tire, still not fixed. They put rims and tires from a 2020 with no better results. Tried rims and tires(continental) from a new Navigator with no better results. Service Manager said we have beat the tire/rim issue to death and that it must be something else(I suggested a drive shaft right away).
The Ford service hotline suggested replacing the left front half shaft. Not resolved. That was done today, I am now taking it home and waiting for what they will do next.

I did have the exact same General tires on my 2015 Expedition with zero issues so don't buy into that being the problem. It came with them new when I bought it used in 2017 and I had no issues, I replaced them when the time came with Mastercraft tires and then replaced those with more Generals again with zero issues.

What are the characteristics of your vibration?
Mine has had this issue since July, vibrates through the cabin and into the wheel at speeds over 68-72. I’m fairly sure its tires as the generals ford got have been known to be crappy. Gonna try a set of 4 Defender LTX M/S and see if that helps.
might be one of the CV joints, but that’s a shot in the dark. Buddy if mine suggested bad rotors. When those aren’t balanced they also vibrate like an out of balance tire.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m putting my winter tires/wheels on tomorrow so I’ll find out if that fixes my vibrations….

kpwhalen830

Reaction score
What are the characteristics of your vibration?
Mine has had this issue since July, vibrates through the cabin and into the wheel at speeds over 68-72. I’m fairly sure its tires as the generals ford got have been known to be crappy.
Pretty much the same. Very high frequency vibration starting around 69MPH+. Any speed below that it is just fine.
As I mentioned, the Generals were perfect on my old Expedition. They put 2 different sets of rims and tires on my Expedition this week with no change in the vibration.
I am having Ford's Field Engineer come out on Monday to take it for a drive.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pretty much the same. Very high frequency vibration starting around 69MPH+. Any speed below that it is just fine.
As I mentioned, the Generals were perfect on my old Expedition. They put 2 different sets of rims and tires on my Expedition this week with no change in the vibration.
I am having Ford's Field Engineer come out on Monday to take it for a drive.
thanks! let me know how it goes, because i've got the same problem.