Steering Vibration 2022 Ford Expedition Max SPP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skud

Reaction score
Mine is not a max, but is a SPP with the 22s and CCD. Mine has been road force balanced by the same dealer 3 times. It is better now. What I have noticed is that sometimes it is smooth, then there will be a period of time where it will vibrate again - all in the same trip. The vibration is felt in the steering wheel and in the seats (ie: all 4 tires/wheels). Made a 1000 mile round trip a few weeks ago. Had the smooth/vibrate/smooth.... experience multiple times on the same trip.

While I still inclined to believe the root cause is the General tires, I am beginning to wonder if it is associated with the combination of the sport tuned suspension (SPP package) and CCD.

I will be ordering new winter tires/wheels shortly. It will be very interesting to see what a completely different set of wheels & tires will feel like.....
I’ve had this happen when two tires are out. Periodically, as the tires rotate at a different rate, they will either amplify or cancel out the other tire’s vibrations.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Flat Spotting

If you’ve ever wondered why your tires don’t seem to drive right after you’ve left your vehicle sitting idle a little bit longer than the average wait time, flat-spotting may be the cause. Unused tires sit pressed against the flat ground, which creates rigid areas that damage your tire’s functionality. As the outside temperature heats and cools the compounds in your tire throughout the day, the air pressure changes daily as well. Overtime, your tires will begin to develop flat spots, even if you cannot see them. Remember, there is a lot of weight on your tires from your entire vehicle.

While this won’t create a completely flat tire, flat-spotting may cause awkward vibrations while you drive or make it hard for you to actually steer your car. Flat spots can occur in as little as thirty days, so this can become a major problem if you haven’t used your car in months.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Flat Spotting

In my experience, nothing worse than new rubber (that is known garbage/**** to begin with) sitting idle... Might want to try balance beads or balance fluid if you want to continue to use stock tires, but, path of least resistance here is to try new shoes on to see if that does the trick.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought my SPP two weeks ago. Took it back next day for strong vibrations over 75mph and was told the soonest I could get in was two weeks. Great. :thumbsdown:

Took it in today and this is what I got back. Yep - they wire wheeled every wheel. Went to the manager and they’re supposed to be replacing all the wheels.
Beyond unacceptable. Guess good help is hard to find these days...

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m lost.
When I bought it it had flat spots from sitting. They replaced the tires free.
The new tires get flat spots after sitting for a night or two
The same tires, Grabbers? Seems like these things are really bad

George2022

Reaction score
So what should we do? I am pretty sure I will get the same answer from the dealership "we cannot duplicate the issue". Should we start a petition or something? I will not spend another $1800 for new tires when I already paid like $100k and have less than 4K Miles on these crappy tires. Ford should pay to replace them.

Silver-Bullet-Bus

Reaction score
The brake rotors warp fairly early on with these vehicles. I had a front vibration too, which was cured with some Power Stop Z36 rotors, which are much less warp prone than stock. After almost 40 years driving, I’m also partial to Michelins.