Steering Vibration 2022 Ford Expedition Max SPP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert CaulfordV

Reaction score
Hello All,

BLUF
Expedition
Limited Max
Stealth Performance
Max Trailer Tow

Issue
Heavy Front Right Vibration felt throughout the entire cabin.

I'm new to this forum, but not new to Ford or the Expedition (1999,2006,2016,2022) nor other Ford vehicles to include owning 4 F Series trucks, 5 Explorers, and 3 Mustangs. However, I'm a little perplexed with this one. Zero-70 mph we're all good. Once I creep past 70 mph the right front starts to vibrate and gets increasingly worse as speeds approach 80 mph and can be felt in the steering wheel, floorboards, and other locations throughout the cabin. I first took the Expedition back the next evening after I purchased it and I got "We can't duplicate the issue" from the Service Manager. A week later I took the vehicle back and the Service Manager said the front right tire and wheel were out of balance. I drove it home and noticed a minor change (I could now go 73 mph before a noticeable vibration). I notified them of the issue and they said, "Let us research it".

I had already scheduled a vacation with the family and purchased the Expo for such occasions. I set off on 3300 mile roundtrip vacation and felt the vibration every mile over 73 mph down and back on Interstate 95 and every other road throughout FL with 70 mph speed limits.

When I returned home I took the Expedition into the shop on a Friday. On Saturday the Service Manager says, "Our Service Techs don't drive over the speed limit, so we can't duplicate the event/issue. I don't know what to tell you. No other 2022 owners are having the same issue".

Is anyone else having these issues? Can someone point me in the right direction? I though it could be a loose lug nuts, bad sensor for the CCD Suspension System, a bad shock, a bad barring, a rim out of true...

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Rob

Chi6488

Reaction score
I have had to deal with this BS with two prior Fords an expy and 2008 f250. Take it to a discount tire store and see if they can fix it. Some stores have a special adapter that was able to fix my f250 vibration.

It sucks to think you spent this much money and the dealer give's this BS line. I would also climb the corporate ladder and email corporate about it. All the money we have spent on fords and to be treated like this is BS. Unfortunately it is not ford but the dealer and sometimes the dealer doesn't know how to fix.

My expy I went to ford ceo and then filed lemon law because they could not get the vibration fixed. I remember is being called death wobble

Good luck. Maybe it is just a bad tire

HtownHog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello All,

BLUF
Expedition
Limited Max
Stealth Performance
Max Trailer Tow

Issue
Heavy Front Right Vibration felt throughout the entire cabin.

I'm new to this forum, but not new to Ford or the Expedition (1999,2006,2016,2022) nor other Ford vehicles to include owning 4 F Series trucks, 5 Explorers, and 3 Mustangs. However, I'm a little perplexed with this one. Zero-70 mph we're all good. Once I creep past 70 mph the right front starts to vibrate and gets increasingly worse as speeds approach 80 mph and can be felt in the steering wheel, floorboards, and other locations throughout the cabin. I first took the Expedition back the next evening after I purchased it and I got "We can't duplicate the issue" from the Service Manager. A week later I took the vehicle back and the Service Manager said the front right tire and wheel were out of balance. I drove it home and noticed a minor change (I could now go 73 mph before a noticeable vibration). I notified them of the issue and they said, "Let us research it".

I had already scheduled a vacation with the family and purchased the Expo for such occasions. I set off on 3300 mile roundtrip vacation and felt the vibration every mile over 73 mph down and back on Interstate 95 and every other road throughout FL with 70 mph speed limits.

When I returned home I took the Expedition into the shop on a Friday. On Saturday the Service Manager says, "Our Service Techs don't drive over the speed limit, so we can't duplicate the event/issue. I don't know what to tell you. No other 2022 owners are having the same issue".

Is anyone else having these issues? Can someone point me in the right direction? I though it could be a loose lug nuts, bad sensor for the CCD Suspension System, a bad shock, a bad barring, a rim out of true...

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Rob
Don't have my SPP yet so can't say this is an issue personally but couple things to maybe try:

1: rotate the tires, see if the vibration 'moves' with the rotation or is still on the right front, may want to rotate a few times to eliminate different combos. I'd start with crossing the tires "LF to RR, RF to LR".
2: Getting the tires balanced with a road force machine may help a little more since the vibration balancing is done differently.
3: rotor inspection, this is easy to do if you rotate your own tires. spin the axle and watch the rotor, make sure it isn't out of alignment and chattering in the caliper. These should all be good straight and true parts but sometimes you get a bad one.

TBUCK

Reaction score
I had the exact same experience on my 2018 F150 with 20" wheels. they tried balancing the tires a couple of times but the only thing that fixed it was a new tire. They only agreed to replace the bad tire with a new one after we test drove another truck with the same size wheels and had no vibrating issues. I asked to swap wheels with the new vehicle and then they finally ageed to a new tire.

OP
OP
R

Robert CaulfordV

Reaction score
The Expedition is in the shop. I did a little investigating of my own. I checked both front half shafts and found the right one had a lot of slop, nearly 1/8 “ compared to the left 1/32. The shop is going to have a look at it. Fingers crossed.

PS my allocations came in last week, I couldn’t wait and found one at another dealership. My allocation is at CMA Williamsburg Ford 2022 Ford Expedition Limited Max Stealth Performance Edition, Rapid Red Metalic. 83k no upcharbe.

Rosa

Reaction score
Hi Robert, any luck finding the problem? Having the same issue with my new Expedition. On our way home from a road trip, put 1,500 miles on it and front end vibration started at 75-80 mph. Have appointment this week.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Robert, any luck finding the problem? Having the same issue with my new Expedition. On our way home from a road trip, put 1,500 miles on it and front end vibration started at 75-80 mph. Have appointment this week.

I’ve got the same issue. They replaced New general tires all around and vibration over 73 still persists. It got better, but still there.
Took a tech out for a ride this week, they swapped the 22” wheels from a 2019 stealth expy, and I could get to 80 with much less vibration, still some slight vibration, livable though (and those tires were worn into a different alignment and were not in great shape). Tech thought with new rubber it would be even smoother.
Ford dealer is refusing to replace anything more though, they said the new tires are within spec, so technically “good enough” to deny the claim. But it rides like crap over 70.
They are sending it to corporate ford technical review. Should get the denial officially next week.
I asked texh about bearing or other components. He said everything looked tight and didn’t notice any wobble. So he thinks it’s tires. Also no bearing noise, and usually an axle out of balance vibrates much earlier (like 30’s up). He sad the better drive with the other wheels makes him almost certain it’s wheels or tires.
If this denial comes through I have to argue with corporate for a goodwill credit. We’ll see.
I’m at my wits end. Very annoying for any vehicle.

caplanm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Platinum with 22" wheels and General Grabber tires. I just traded in a 2018 Platinum w/22" wheels and Hankook (deadly in the rain) Dynapros. I have vibration in the 2022 about 72 MPH. I honestly believe that it is the Generals. There are posts in forums that say the Generals are very tough to balance, and some being Road Force balanced are totally out of spec, and require more weight than many of the techs feel comfortable adding. I mentioned to my dealer, but I haven't taken it to them yet. It seems that 72 MPH is the problem spot.....not noticeable above 75 MPH.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2022 Platinum with 22" wheels and General Grabber tires. I just traded in a 2018 Platinum w/22" wheels and Hankook (deadly in the rain) Dynapros. I have vibration in the 2022 about 72 MPH. I honestly believe that it is the Generals. There are posts in forums that say the Generals are very tough to balance, and some being Road Force balanced are totally out of spec, and require more weight than many of the techs feel comfortable adding. I mentioned to my dealer, but I haven't taken it to them yet. It seems that 72 MPH is the problem spot.....not noticeable above 75 MPH.
Agreed. Tech who worked on my car said the same thing. The only difference. I can feel the vibration above 75, haven’t gone above 82-83, but noticeable up to that point for sure.