Steering Vibration 2022 Ford Expedition Max SPP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put some Michelins on that rig
Normally I would just have paid to put on the Michelins. But my wife made a good point. Part of my 80k+ includes usable tires, something is clearly wrong and it’s not 3 months old yet. Ford should try to make this right and either offer a replacement credit, same value as the Generals but let owner pick. Ford dealer installed.
Or just replace them entirely, owner not involved.

Chi6488

Reaction score
I do not understand why Ford or dealers pull this Sh&T. We spend good money and have to deal with vibrations and dealers acting like its a smooth ride when we are getting free arm massages driving.

Most problems are easy to fix and I see mostly due to tries. Grabbers are notorious in my experience.

I had them on my first expy 2001 eddie bauer and michelins fixed the issue.

2005 f250 2wd diesel same issue

2006 f250 diesel 4wd Goodyear and michellins fixed the issue

2008 f250 4wd and grabbers again. I complained and got nowhere after 1k miles michelins solved problem

Are we seeing a trend with grabbers?? Not saying the michelins was 100% fix but 85-90% of it. Pirelli scorpions were the best but they were too soft a new set after 22k miles. I did two sets and switched to michellins with a slight vibration now could be road or could be the big suv itself.

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normally I would just have paid to put on the Michelins. But my wife made a good point. Part of my 80k+ includes usable tires, something is clearly wrong and it’s not 3 months old yet. Ford should try to make this right and either offer a replacement credit, same value as the Generals but let owner pick. Ford dealer installed.
Or just replace them entirely, owner not involved.

oh I agree. Hell low end stock tahoes came with Michelin LTX.

I had a new 16 Explorer with the hankooks. Similar issue. It took many phone calls and emails with documentation to get replacement. Ford gave me credit towards replacement. Half ass but i took it.

i wonder if the generals are damaged from the vehicle sitting prior delivery.

I have the stock generals on mine still. I don’t like them but I want to see how they do in the winter and on a road trip.

Skud

Reaction score
Bought my SPP two weeks ago. Took it back next day for strong vibrations over 75mph and was told the soonest I could get in was two weeks. Great. :thumbsdown:

Took it in today and this is what I got back. Yep - they wire wheeled every wheel. Went to the manager and they’re supposed to be replacing all the wheels.

Attachments

• B18BF280-1987-41FE-9095-838EC0DD7B4A.jpeg
    B18BF280-1987-41FE-9095-838EC0DD7B4A.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 0C50229D-4496-4152-A41E-6A7F594955FC.jpeg
    0C50229D-4496-4152-A41E-6A7F594955FC.jpeg
    242 KB · Views: 46
  • 5136B6EC-60CF-49E2-A745-EA5987A8FEB6.jpeg
    5136B6EC-60CF-49E2-A745-EA5987A8FEB6.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 46

Infra246

Reaction score
O M G!!! If they want to charge these kinds of prices for these vehicles, they need to get the service dept on par with the pricing.

Beachums

Reaction score
Bought my SPP two weeks ago. Took it back next day for strong vibrations over 75mph and was told the soonest I could get in was two weeks. Great. :thumbsdown:

Took it in today and this is what I got back. Yep - they wire wheeled every wheel. Went to the manager and they’re supposed to be replacing all the wheels.
WTMF???? How in the world can a dealer get away with this kind of behavior? If you didn't have the presence of mind to check, those wheels would have destroyed themselves within a couple of years with oxidation. Ford should be auditing that dealer's service department.

29twonine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WTMF???? How in the world can a dealer get away with this kind of behavior? If you didn't have the presence of mind to check, those wheels would have destroyed themselves within a couple of years with oxidation. Ford should be auditing that dealer's service department.
That's ridiculous, but I have to ask if the vibrations stopped after they tried to balance the tires? We just picked our Expedition last week and it starts vibrating around 68mph, calling the dealer tomorrow.

Skud

Reaction score
That's ridiculous, but I have to ask if the vibrations stopped after they tried to balance the tires? We just picked our Expedition last week and it starts vibrating around 68mph, calling the dealer tomorrow.
I was able to get it up to speed and I’d say it’s 80% better. There’s still a small vibration after 80mph, but not as bad as it was.

Unfortunately, this dealer doesn’t have a road force machine so they can’t measure if the tires are bad.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score

So lousy job the dealership did. Why didn't they just adjust the weights attached to wheels?

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had all 4 tires replaced on mine, they actually replaced 5 tires because one arrived so bad they couldn't balance it.
These Generals are complete garbage.
even with 4 visits to the dealer, and 2 road force balances and alignment. you can still feel vibration over 68-72. I'm pushing to get Defender LTX MS put on it. I've had them on other vehicles and they tend to ride great.
Also, for anyone who's had their truck sitting, the flat spots form overnight. I've never had tires get flat spots so easy and so fast. I also cold air up to 40 PSI (door suggests 39), doesn't matter. these things are terrible.