Stock XLT tires...not impressed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Wow! Sorry to hear that. Freaky things find their way into tires. I remember once my wife got a ball point pen in her tire! You'd think a 3000 lb car would crush a plastic pen, but no. Anyway, I think overall, Michelin tires are among the best you can buy. Granted, Primacy aren't a really good off road tires, but they should last a long time. Good thing you had your compressor.
Was is a Bic pen?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had corn stalks thru the sidewalls and they ruined the tire because its like splinters and they can't be repaired.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had corn stalks thru the sidewalls and they ruined the tire because its like splinters and they can't be repaired.

You really shouldn't repair sidewall damage no matter what went through it.

Backinblack

Reaction score
My 2018 XLT 4WD came with the Michelins and I showed the sales manager the window sticker that said A/T.
I ended up with Goodyear Wrangler Adventures with Kevlar. I had to pay for install but I get life time rotations.
They are an improvement off road and on packed snow. Note: I was able to sell the Michelins to a used tire wholesaler.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, had the expedition into the tire store again this morning for the other rear tire. Same thing, slow leak, another small pebble had pierced the tire. I have had great luck with michelins on work trucks but so far these aren't holding up well for me.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I have now had 4 repairs made to the stock tires, all have been the result of small pebbles that pierced the tire resulting in slow leaks.

I am completely shocked by this and can't believe I have had to go in 4 times with these tires. I think I will definitely be looking at new tires before camping season gets going (if it ever does at this point)!

Anyone run the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W They have an SL load range tire so I wouldn't have to bump up to Load Range E tires which should keep the ride nice but still be enough tire for me. They would still exceed the GVWR by 3500ish lbs.

Plati

Reaction score
Well, I have now had 4 repairs made to the stock tires, all have been the result of small pebbles that pierced the tire resulting in slow leaks.

I am completely shocked by this and can't believe I have had to go in 4 times with these tires. I think I will definitely be looking at new tires before camping season gets going (if it ever does at this point)!

Anyone run the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W They have an SL load range tire so I wouldn't have to bump up to Load Range E tires which should keep the ride nice but still be enough tire for me. They would still exceed the GVWR by 3500ish lbs.
You must have sharp rocks out there. I've had that happen (in Florida) but caught it before it compromised the tire since I sometimes go through the tire and pick all the rocks that are trapped between treads. Different parts of the country are higher risk for that. Never an issue in NYS.

I run those Falkens on both my 2003 & 2014. Like them a lot. I went with LT tires to get deeper tread. Good tires IMHO, but heavy! I have a set of Kumho Road Venture AT51's also for my 2014EL (summer rubber now since 50% worn down tread). Nice tires but the Falken's are an upgrade I think.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For outings, you might wanna buy a set of takeoff BFGs on steelies instead