Stock XLT tires...not impressed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You must have sharp rocks out there. I've had that happen (in Florida) but caught it before it compromised the tire since I sometimes go through the tire and pick all the rocks that are trapped between treads. Different parts of the country are higher risk for that. Never an issue in NYS.

I run those Falkens on both my 2003 & 2014. Like them a lot. I went with LT tires to get deeper tread. Good tires IMHO, but heavy! I have a set of Kumho Road Venture AT51's also for my 2014EL (summer rubber now since 50% worn down tread). Nice tires but the Falken's are an upgrade I think.

Seems pretty odd to me, I have been driving junk offroad my whole life and never had anything like this happen, especially not 4 times on one set of tires. I have sliced some sidewalls but never had little rocks go through the center.

I'm split on the whether to get the LT's or the others. E-rated just seems like major overkill on a halfton rig like this. I do like the deeper tread and the heavier duty tire but boy I like the ride of the softer tires! I guess I am getting old and soft.

Plati

Reaction score
E's will kill the ride quality..... They are 10ply and ride stiff.
That is such a common comment. I have 2 sets of Falken Wildpeak AT3W's and 1 pair of Kumho Road Venture AT51's. All Light Truck version. No noise problem. No ride problem. Maybe I'm just not observant but I never noticed nothing like that. I think recently when I went from the 50% worn Kumho's to the Falken's ... took a gas mileage hit. I had Firestone and Goodyear and Continental passenger tires prior to the LT's.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think one issue is people throw on load E's and have them at 70psi cause thats what the sidewall says. You don't need to run at 70psi if your load doesn't need it. With a bit of math you can calculate the pressure needed for the load and soften things up and the ride isn't as bad.

the tires are heavier and have stiffer sidewalls so they WILL ride different than a softer sidewall. Heavier tires and deeper tread will also cause a bit of a mpg hit.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most tire manufacturers publish load inflation charts for their LT tires. You can look them up and match the rating currently associated with your axles. It will typically be higher than the stock passenger tire requirement, but less than the maximum listed on the sidewall.

I have also called the tire manufacturer with the axle rating and tire size and they recommended an inflation pressure.

I used to drive a 3/4 ton truck. I would drive it on a day to day basis at 55 psi, but would inflate the rear tires up to 70 psi if I knew that I was going to be loading it up.

https://www.michelintruck.com/refer...s-and-warranties/load-and-inflation-tables/#/

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, not changing wheels every time I go camping or drive off a paved road.

They're heavy but it's not that hard

A couple minutes per wheel, most of that spent rolling the wheels down the driveway to a flat spot on the road.

Now without a cordless impact.... yeah, I wouldn't.

As to inflation, yeah, Load Es can be made a bit softer, play around with inflations of 40ish to 60ish... but still, passenger Michelins will be mellower

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have always ran E rates tires on my 1/2 tons and even on my Expy. I am usually pulling a boat or trailer and run them in the 40-50lbs range. The secret is getting the good tire contact patch instead of a set inflation number. I had Toyo RT’s E rated on my F-150. They would crown until about 40lbs. They would wear good, ride good and stay cool at that inflation level. Even towing they where fine. Check the tire temp on trips to see if they are getting to hot is also important when running a lower that recommend pressure. I have never felt the ride was impacted that much if at all unless you have them at full pressure. The biggest hit is the weight. Fuel mileage goes down for sure. And since they are usually a more aggressive tread patter there is more road noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't kid yourselves guys, a 10 ply tire still rides stiffer than a LT tire. I don't care how much you air them down, you are simply fighting a stiffer spring rate in the sidewall itself. Airing them down absolutely helps, but the spring rate is still stiffer....

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't kid yourselves guys, a 10 ply tire still rides stiffer than a LT tire. I don't care how much you air them down, you are simply fighting a stiffer spring rate in the sidewall itself. Airing them down absolutely helps, but the spring rate is still stiffer....

Not enough to matter if you are using your vehicle in Moab and putting rocks in your tire like the original poster.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not enough to matter if you are using your vehicle in Moab and putting rocks in your tire like the original poster.

I agree, but too many think a E is just a letter on the sidewall. Its far more....