Strange Electrical Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ghindy2002

Reaction score
thats not a good sign. After I had mine resealed a year later it leaked again also. Not sure where it was coming from. I bought a tube of aquarium glue and sealed under the rubber all the way down the drivers side on the windsheild. That seems to be working until I can figure what to do next. I have had about 5 really heavy stroms and I held my breath, but it seems to be ok for now. I will be waiting to hear how it drips down the driver's post.

Ronbo

Reaction score
Shouldn't this be a Ford Recall Repair??

My 2000 EB just experienced the same electrical problems that most of you have described. The Radio will cut out when the headlights are on and the car is shifted into Drive or Reverse. I also had the wipers go out and I fear that this is just the beginning of my electrical nightmare. Since it seems that this problem is affecting quite a few Expedition owners throughout many model yeras, should this not be a matter for Ford to take care of under a factory recall???

I am still waiting on the cruise control fix too. This is my 1st Ford since 1971 and I got to tell you that if these problems persist, this will be my very last Ford. I'm starting to regret my move from Chevrolet.

Ron

ghindy2002

Reaction score
It seems that the electrical problems are in the Expeditions I ahve a Ford truck and this has never happened. I read an article from Ford when the garage was reseaching my problem..it said that Lincoln Navigators are also having the same problem. There was a man who worked in my complex that had a Navigator so I thought I would pass the info on to him. He said he did have an electrical problem and showed me the inside of the Navigator, as soon as he opened the door I could smell the mildew and asked if he noticed that smell he said yes but he just thought it was from water getting on his shoes and being transfered to the interior. He took his vehicle in to The dealer and there was a problems with a leaky windshield and fuse box being wet. They did not want to do the work as warranty and he was very upset. I will still have a Ford truck over and other vehicle.

akbergmann

Reaction score
Me too!!

I have an EB Expy and it started having the blower fan staying on problem. I brought it to the dealership and they replaced the GEM module and re-sealed the windshield. Here it is a year later and the demon has just resurfaced. I haven't stuck my head up in the dash to look at the fuse box. Incidentially, this occurs after a heavy rain.

I think that Ford needs to have a recall or a sevice bulletin.

ghindy2002

Reaction score
I think your are right. But Ford does not even think it is their problem. Ford dealers just looked at me like... are you wanting us to repair it at your cost or not. I would like to know why the windshield keeps coming unsealed..??? I would think that if your air bag deployed that it would not protect you as well becuase if the windshield is not sealed properly it would blow out the windshield instead of the bag staying forward when it explodes.
Not sure how to prod Ford into making a recall on this but I think they should.

Ronbo

Reaction score
I just tried to seal the windshield by running a bead of silicone along the bottom edge of the windshield. We'll see if this works or not. I can't believe how rusty the area underneath the dash is. It is incredilbe that Ford has not acknowledged this problem nor taken the initiative to try to remedy it. Come on Ford, if your listening, do something about this problem before you cause some really unsatisfied customers. My 12 year old Chevy is not nearly as nice looking as my Ford, but it sure has none of the problems that I am seeing with the Ford. The cruise control works, it has no rust in or out, and it is bone dry inside. Am I asking too much from a $35,000 car???

ghindy2002

Reaction score
When you run that bead of silicone...run it down the post too. From the leak I have a mildew smell, any ideas on how to get rid of that odor anyone?

Ronbo

Reaction score
I will seal the posts next weekend, but fortunately, for now anyway, my Expedition has not developed a mildew smell. I guess I would suggest some Fabreze, or maybe you could shampoo the carpet AFTER you have tried to seal the windshield. Again, as I've suggested before, these are NOT things one should have to do with an $35,000+ vehicle. Hello FORD, are you listening????

ghindy2002

Reaction score
The mildew smell is coming from under the dash..I guess I could try to fabreze some how under the dash. The carpert never did get wet, that would have been too easy.. You are right we should not be worrying about Thsi stuff. But I guess a vehicle that smells like a basement does cost as much as a basement. Unreal.

akbergmann

Reaction score
Maybe?

I don't know about the rest of you but this only happens when there is a heavy snow or rain and the truck is parked. I can drive it through a carwash (high pressure spray) and I can drive it through the rain, even heavy without any of these problems.

Therefore, I look to see where water would run down a non-moving vehicle. If you look at the diverside windshield rubber seal, it has a channel that funnels water down to the top of the front fender. At the same area there is a stamped joining of the frame. I had an area that was not stamped together and maybe there was some water getting in that way. Not Sure but I sealed it with silicone. I guess, I'll see if it works

Wish me luck,

Karl