Strange oil situation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Krueger

Reaction score
Mine always shows over when I check it. I have not checked at differning temps, but about once a week before I start it for the first time. I have done one oil change myself, and two by my trusted shop, all three with the same results. All have been synthetic oil with non fram oil filters. Motorcraft when I did it, I believe, but not sure what the shop put in. (He's been a friend for going on 25 years, so I just trust him.) I had chalked it up to the dipstick being off, but now I am not sure. Also, not sure if I should worry? It has 75K and I have owned for about 15K miles. It seems to be ok, but open to better suggestions if any.

OP
OP
plumcolr

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's consistent after sitting, don't worry about it. Mine wasn't, was extraordinarily high when I checked. I know what to expect now on a cold check. Oil will be about up to the crease in the dipstick (above the full mark) when full, or slightly below. With the bad filter it was significantly above.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Fuel dilution and crankcase over pressure, may cause the oil level to rise. I have it tested at Blackstone.

Old Guy

Reaction score
I was taught years ago in auto shop in high school: Check the oil after the engine sets a while. If you check it right after running, it will show being low, and yes, a quart low is very possible. You see, the oil is in the heads and passages and takes a while to flow back into the pan. Used to be a racket when you pulled into a full service gas station and they checked the oil right after running, to "sell" you a quart of oil.

See what the manual says.....