2019 MAX Oil Burning issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
What ever happened to this? Any update?
So it appears that it was a technician error. I’ve checked the oil since reporting the issue and it is stayed steady at the full mark. We are at about 2000 miles later and it’s at the same level.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Is there soot in the tailpipe?
Never was soot out of the tailpipe… I did an update to this and it appears it was a technician error. I’ve checked the oil weekly and seems to be holding steady at the full mark since we reported the issue.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Doesn't matter, you can't prove any of it. Fill it up to the correct level and keep an eye on it.
After reporting it to the dealer… They filled it up to the full mark and wanted to monitor it for 500 miles… I’ve checked it weekly since then, and it appears to be holding steady at the full mark. That would tell me that it was an initial technician error.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
Took our 2019 MAX (40kmi) for Cam Phaser replacement 2 weeks ago. Checked the oil today and it’s a quart low! Called the dealer to see if the cam phaser fix involved replacing the oil as well, they said they always do a 6qts with the cam phaser fix. SO either the tech didn’t add the right amount of oil or the truck has a serious oil burning issue!? My guess is they added the incorrect amount? Thoughts?
Update update… After monitoring the oil weekly for the last 2000 miles. The level has stayed at the full mark since bringing it into the dealer to have them check it and top it off. It appears to me that it was a technician error and he just didn’t fill it up to full when doing the cam phasers.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update update… After monitoring the oil weekly for the last 2000 miles. The level has stayed at the full mark since bringing it into the dealer to have them check it and top it off. It appears to me that it was a technician error and he just didn’t fill it up to full when doing the cam phasers.
This is why I perform my own oil changes. This way I am sure of what oil I use, (Ford Specs full synthetic), and I know the job was done correctly.
The reward is it is way cheaper, (average $42.00 for 6qts. Ford spec'd full synthetic, Motorcraft oil filter).
I use a 12v oil extractor pump, ($20.00 on Amazon), that gets 99% of the oil out, with absolutely no mess, change the filter and I'm done.
I can't speak for other dealerships, but my local ones are hit and miss, depending on who works on your vehicle. My encounter was the tech did not perform the simple task of replacing the cooling system cap correctly, after a system flush, causing all my fluid to spill out on the highway. I was stranded and had to get it towed to the dealership. Luckily, I caught it before it caused serious problems. You would not have gone through the anxiety of thinking you had an issue if the service tech did his job right.

Last edited:

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think this thread is a good example of why you should monitor/check all the fluid levels in any car on a regular basis. Even, and especially, if you do not do the changes yourself.

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
This is why I perform my own oil changes. This way I am sure of what oil I use, (Ford Specs full synthetic), and I know the job was done correctly.
The reward is it is way cheaper, (average $42.00 for 6qts. Ford spec'd full synthetic, Motorcraft oil filter).
I use a 12v oil extractor pump, ($20.00 on Amazon), that gets 99% of the oil out, with absolutely no mess, change the filter and I'm done.
I can't speak for other dealerships, but my local ones are hit and miss, depending on who works on your vehicle. My encounter was the tech did not perform the simple task of replacing the cooling system cap correctly, after a system flush, causing all my fluid to spill out on the highway. I was stranded and had to get it towed to the dealership. Luckily, I caught it before it caused serious problems. You would not have gone through the anxiety of thinking you had an issue if the service tech did his job right.
Agreed on the DIY as I’m meticulous/**** about maintenance. This is our first Ford and the dealership experience is sorely behind others, very frustrating dealer experience not just quality of work but amount of time for appointments and repairs. Coming from Lexus/Toyota…if I called the dealer for an appointment, they’d have availability right away for any needs I have. Ford on the other hand is, we have an appointment available next month and that’s just to look at it, the repair is a whole other story! Probably because they are literally backed up and swamped with warranty repairs!

OP
OP
BlakeMAX2019

BlakeMAX2019

Reaction score
I think this thread is a good example of why you should monitor/check all the fluid levels in any car on a regular basis. Even, and especially, if you do not do the changes yourself.
100% agree! I recommend not only to check all fluids regularly but also inspect engine and undercarriage for any leaks on a regular basis, especially when still under warranty. I did a regular inspection under the MAX and found a blown shock at 15kmi, replaced under warranty by dealer.