Strange switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I added 2 switches into the center console box of my previous Expy for emergency lighting. It was easier to just leave them in place and remove the lights when I sold it. I wonder if the current owner has found them yet haha.

Expy_Tac

Reaction score
Still no updates on the mystery switch huh?

Sounds like the consensus here is auxiliary lighting which totally makes sense, as the rocker is right by the light switch.

When I saw the pic of the blue wire with the white strip I had another thought. Years and years (and years and years and years) ago, I installed stereos for a living. All mobile audio in cars, trucks, boats, even a couple of airplanes. Anyway this looks a lot like how some shops would add a remote switch to bypass the accessory ignition switch to get power to the audio system without having to put in the key and turn the car on. The idea was that you could run your system w/o the key in the ignition so no lights or annoying door bell if your doors were open. I’d also see this hooked to amplifiers to manually disconnect power so as not to drain the battery. That was more common when adding amps to a stock stereo system. TobyU brought that up earlier too. Amps may have been pulled when the truck was sold and they just left the switch there.

Is the stereo in your Expy aftermarket? Whether it is or not, try turning on the stereo w/o turning the ignition to the accessory or on positions. If nothing, hit the mystery switch and try it again. Just a thought.

If that’s not it, then I really hope it’s for a trunk monkey!

Plati

Reaction score
Ejection Seat
or
Oil Spray & Smoke Screen
or
Trunk Monkey
or
Nitrous

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the OP hasn’t been around it’s safe to say the button ejected the driver from the seat. Hope he survived the landing.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The plus to having the stereo and amps going with no key in ignition is you can be stupid drunk listening to your favorite tunes, and a cop could never get you for a DUI! Very smart. Difference between an open container ticket and DUI here in California is around $9,700. Not to mention the hell you'd go through with lawyers, court, etc. Problem is if your thank drunk, you'll probably forget to rock the switch back to shut it off. A jump start beats a DUI!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

T Money

Reaction score
Everything is stock. Except.... an aftermarket DVD player. I wonder if that switch lets the DVD player have power with the ignition off? I'l try that. Seems odd though. How much do you really let the kids watch movies with the car off? Hardly seems worth the switch. Be nice if it was DRLs, but no.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Everything is stock. Except.... an aftermarket DVD player. I wonder if that switch lets the DVD player have power with the ignition off? I'l try that. Seems odd though. How much do you really let the kids watch movies with the car off? Hardly seems worth the switch. Be nice if it was DRLs, but no.
Is the switch so the DVD can be watched while driving? Some of them require a ground circuit to be made after the unit has fully booted up but can't have constant ground

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe it's an automated system for flipping off other drivers?

OTRATTW makes a F**k Off! switch. :D They also used to have one labeled "F**k Off Lights," which I strongly considered getting at one time. I was going to make it a master switch for high beams, light bar, aux lights, etc. for those f**kwads that refuse to shut their high beams for oncoming traffic (though they would also be well suited to the people who drop HIDs in reflectors and blind people at random angles).

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OTRATTW makes a F**k Off! switch. :D They also used to have one labeled "F**k Off Lights," which I strongly considered getting at one time. I was going to make it a master switch for high beams, light bar, aux lights, etc. for those f**kwads that refuse to shut their high beams for oncoming traffic (though they would also be well suited to the people who drop HIDs in reflectors and blind people at random angles).
I had a 1977 F-100 Ford Ranger XLT that had 4 massive spotlights mounted on the roof (for off-road use only, mind you). About 3-5 seconds of those babies scorching the back your eye-bubs sent the message.

Plati

Reaction score
I had a 1977 F-100 Ford Ranger XLT that had 4 massive spotlights mounted on the roof (for off-road use only, mind you). About 3-5 seconds of those babies scorching the back your eye-bubs sent the message.
any lizard that blasted that at me
would probably be encountering me … in person

not to mention
blinding a vehicle coming at you, risk of a head on?
SMART!

OR … I'd activate the Strange Switch … and it would take care of the situation
:dogpile:

Last edited: