Strange switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It looks aftermarket to me as well and I think the suggestion that it's for some type of auxiliary lighting is the most likely answer. In the case of my truck, the switch was for a train horn the previous owner had installed.

Plati

Reaction score
Last edited:

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To get the door code on a later model requires a bit of work. When I bought my 2009 Expy, the previous owner only had one key and didn't know the code. I took the right front kickpanel off and found the fuse panel that is also the "brain" for things like the turn signals. I had to take out the screws holding it to the bulkhead and look on the back. There I found the 4-digit master code. I just use that code now when I want to open the doors although there is a procedure you can use to create your own additional codes. Ace Hardware store cloned me a second key although it can't be used to create any more. If you have both original keys, you can copy more by inserting first one, then the other. Hope this helps.

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As others have shown, the door code can be found under the dash, on passenger side. Might be a little tricky to locate, but its there. I had a buddy just buy a used Escape, took it to dealership, and they were trying to charge him an hour labor to "reprogram it." That's just wrong and shady on the dealers part... that's just horrible customer service.

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know what it is. It's an anti tailgate device. I bet if you look under the rear bumper you'll find a device that releases oil or penny nails behind you.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally on my Eddie Bauer, I have those gladiator type tire cutters that I got rigged to a 40 amp switch and maxi fuse. Works great trying to get out of Oakland when the natives get restless after a Raiders game.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

T Money

Reaction score
Well, door code is under control. That toggle switch doesn't do a thing that I can find. It doesn't seem to affect the cabin lights at all. I'm just going to leave it off until something doesn't work. Then I'll turn it on.

Maybe it's for nitrous? Maybe it's an automated system for flipping off other drivers?