stuck cv axle in bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cnacowboy

Reaction score
ok here it goes, I have a 2005 expedition. my left rear hub assembly is bad and I have it tore down as far as I can go. the cv axle is stuck on the bearing and the bearing is loose from the knuckle. any ideas how to get the cv axle and the hub apart? ive done screwed up some threads hoping to re tap them

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok here it goes, I have a 2005 expedition. my left rear hub assembly is bad and I have it tore down as far as I can go. the cv axle is stuck on the bearing and the bearing is loose from the knuckle. any ideas how to get the cv axle and the hub apart? ive done screwed up some threads hoping to re tap them

Take off the parking brake assembly and have someone heat it with the torch while you pry out with a long breaker bar against the parking brake hardware.

OP
OP
C

cnacowboy

Reaction score
I used a whole can of nut blaster and I don't have a torch uness you mean a handheld. I even split a 4x4 trying to beat it off

OP
OP
C

cnacowboy

Reaction score
I just decided to pull the spindle off and have it pressed out but think I screwed the cv axle it came out in pieces with the end still in the rear-end. ill look at it more closely in the day time as it was dark and no light to see what I was doing.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just decided to pull the spindle off and have it pressed out but think I screwed the cv axle it came out in pieces with the end still in the rear-end. ill look at it more closely in the day time as it was dark and no light to see what I was doing.

I’ve done both rears on mine and heat is the only thing that works to seperate tje splines. A small torch will do but it will be slower, I used an oxy/acetylene setup. Just for future reference on these vehicles.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I experienced the same on my 2010. Heat didn't work for me but this did:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-ton-ratcheting-puller/p-00949804000P

Put that on and hit it with the impact. Even with that combination it wasn't happy about moving but eventually went. The hub started warping before the axle started coming out but it wasn't an issue since I replacing the whole assembly anyway.

OP, glad you got part of the problem sorted. Replacing the CV axle should be a breeze from this point.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same problem on my 06. Ended up getting a carrier (knuckle) from a salvage yard, came with both control arms and half shaft. Traded in salvage half shaft for a rebuilt, put new bearing in salvage carrier, mounted same as a unit. Was easy.

Incidentally, for grins put old one on a 12-ton press. Nada, zip and nothing wouldn't budge. Whole thing cost under $200 and other than wait time for salvage parts and time wasted trying to remove original half shaft was under 3 hours.