stuck on 4x4 low or high

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Exp099

Exp099

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok i give up it doesnt work still stuck on 4x4lo or high.. the transder case motor will but then it stops working i think il buy a new one from o riellys and have a mechanic come over and do it.. does it need a new transfer case??

gvang

Reaction score
4x4 Transfer Case Shift Motor RELAY

My 1997 Expedition 5.4 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 240K miles (original owner) would not go into 4x4. I spent a lot of time on the forums and troubleshooting this. The 4x4 light on the dash would not turn on.

I first verified the front differential would lock, and the vacuum was working on the front actuator, which is attached to the front differential. The actuator moved and locked and unlocked the front differential.

The problem was that the transfer case would not do anything. I replaced the transfer case motor, but there was no change. Now I need to sell the old transfer case motor on ebay.

Then I took off the dashboard (easy job) to get to the 4x4 Transfer Case Shift Motor RELAY. I borrowed a friend's expedition and borrowed his RELAY. (Yes, I took his dashboard apart). Booya! It was the relay. Also, rather than buying a new relay from Ford for $192 or ebay for $40, I opened the relay and saw that it needed some soldering. After 4 minutes of soldering the loose connection on the circuit board, the RELAY was repaired. (Sorry, I wish I took some pictures.) I now have 4x4 again! Now the 2wd, Awd, 4x4, 4L switch lights up.

Two Notes:
1 - If your 2wd, Awd, 4x4, 4L switch is does not light up (when the headlights are on), it's likely your relay under the dashboard.

2 - The front drive shaft locks in two places: the front differential and the transfer case. Just because the front drive shaft moves when the wheels turn, does not mean your transfer case is locking properly. The vacuum controls the actuator and locks the front differential, and the transfer case motor locks the transfer case. Both need to work to get 4x4 working.

Hope this helps.

GVAN

Last edited:

98EXPnSRQ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before you do anything else, disconnect the battery leads and touch the two leads together for a minute or two. This will remove all residual power in the PCM. Make sure the switch is in 2wd or AWD and the transfer case arrow was also in this position when you install the new motor. Reconnect, start it and let it run for a minute then try shifting the switch. The transfer case motor has a position switch inside that goes bad. When this happens the PCM doesn't know where it is shifted and things go down hill from there. This procedure resets everything.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolf_Lazarus