Stuck Rear Hub Assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marksfps

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I have a 2006 expedition 4x4.
The rear hub needs replacing.
I used a puller to try and get the hub off, it broke the spindle loose, the shaft is fully loose from the hub. But the outside of the hub is seized pretty hard. I am using the puller to tighten further trying to break it free, but it is pushing the CV axle back into to differential. I start to hear tiny little popping noises or creaking if I tighten too much. Am I in danger of damaging the CV shaft or diff if I keep tightening till the hub comes loose?
I have an oxy acetylene torch but I haven't tried it yet. I've beat on this thing till I'm worn out. Any ideas? Can I keep tightening on the puller pushing that CV back until the hub breaks free? I've tried hitting it while under pressure, that doesn't work. If I heat it up do I heat up the outside part and not the hub assembly?

Hope all this makes sense. Thanks in advance!!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Sorry you haven't gotten an answer yet. I've had a heck of a time getting front hubs out, but I don't think I'd press against the axle, for fear of damaging the CV joint. Not sure, and can't offer much more.

Look on the F-150 forums. They have more do-it-yourself mechanics and are more common.

I spray, heat and beat over and over and over again. Possibly insert longer retaining bolts through the back and beat against them if you can get room?

Or put the rotor back on and beat it from the other side using a 20 lb sledge via a 7-foot long pipe.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I have a 2006 expedition 4x4.
The rear hub needs replacing.
I used a puller to try and get the hub off, it broke the spindle loose, the shaft is fully loose from the hub. But the outside of the hub is seized pretty hard. I am using the puller to tighten further trying to break it free, but it is pushing the CV axle back into to differential. I start to hear tiny little popping noises or creaking if I tighten too much. Am I in danger of damaging the CV shaft or diff if I keep tightening till the hub comes loose?
I have an oxy acetylene torch but I haven't tried it yet. I've beat on this thing till I'm worn out. Any ideas? Can I keep tightening on the puller pushing that CV back until the hub breaks free? I've tried hitting it while under pressure, that doesn't work. If I heat it up do I heat up the outside part and not the hub assembly?

Hope all this makes sense. Thanks in advance!!
Maybe this will help?

@Yukon Joe

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Slide hammers go over the studs of an axle, then lug nuts hold it on. They are the best bet for removing items that are either stuck or press on fit. We used to use them on motorcycles all the time. Their were ones made for removing stators, Magneto's, etc, and most were threaded with that size. Usually anywhere from 14 mm to 22mm. Automotive and truck slides are either a flange type like the hub puller, or some use 3 fingers to hook behind an item to be yanked.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

MrDoc

Reaction score
I had to heat it, then slide hammer popped it off.
Thanks everyone!

Hate to hijack a thread but I'm in the middle of this job in the cold in the driveway and the sun is starting to set.

Where did you heat it? I'm using a map torch and slide hammer and can't.get.it to budge. Hate to think I'm going to have to take it.to Firestone in the morning where they won't use my timken hub and will charge me an outrageous amount of money.