Stuck Rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vigilante

Reaction score
In the spirit of giving this season, I decided to throw some more money at the expedition. This time with a little bit of an upgrade to the brakes. Successfully completed the driver side, however, have been working for a few days now on the passenger side. The front right rotor is rusted to the hub. The old nut and bolt through the caliper mount trick has resulted in over a dozen sheared bolts. Penetrating oil, mallet, pry bar, and every combination have all resulted in no progress. What else can I do? Do I have to just cut the damn thing off?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 109

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Liberal use of PB Blaster, let it soak for 24 hrs, then use a sledge hammer to free it. Hit on back side, rotate rotor 180, hit again. Use manly hits and eye protection. You can also hit the rotors edge to help.

OP
OP
Vigilante

Vigilante

Reaction score
I would rather not have to re do the bearings (which I did when I put the last rotors on about 30k ago).

These totors have a little over 30k miles and I can't believe they are as rusted on as they are.

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once you get it apart put some anti seize where the rotors mate to the hub. I've been doing this on 80lb drums on fire trucks. Makes them easier to get apart later.

thewishkah

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know you said you did the bolt through the bracket already but I did the same thing and broke some bolts. The only way I got them off was to buy harder grade bolts and use an impact gun and as you do it back off the bolt and turn the rotor and go again eventually you will hear it pop free. And before anyone asks I did use a big hammer and heavy hits, I just kept cracking pieces off the rotors. All 4 of mine were stuck( fronts to the hub, backs to the ebrake that was frozen.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
WD 40 Rust Release penetrant is the best stuff out there. Soak it front and back and let it sit for an hour. Then go pick up some grade 8 bolts and nuts and try it again.

BULLDOG

Reaction score
Big hammer works pretty well in 99.9% of the cases.
Actually I used to cut brake drum once, in that case a bearing was part of the drum, and I had no choice but cut the whole thing. It was Citroen AX 1991.

In case with Expy just slam the rotor from OUTSIDE!!! a few times in ONE spot on the edge, it should work.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before I ever learned the bolt trick, way back in BFH rotor thrashing times, the passenger side rotor on my '01 refused to succumb to a beating. I ended up drilling three holes close together in a line perpendicular to the outer edge of the rotor. I then put a chisel in between the holes and drove it as a wedge to split the steel. This was pretty easy to do actually. It was not necessary for me to bust the entire rotor in half, as soon as the steel cracked it released and popped right off.

I've heard of guys using a sawzall, a grinder, a dremel tool, nuclear warheads, etc to the same effect. I used a drill because it was the closest power tool at hand that day. I would repeat the method if the bolt trick ever failed. Way less violence is required.