Stupid Ford Lugnuts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have driven Fords since 2001 and never had an issue with the lugs, so I’ll be the first to admit I thought this thread was a whole lot of Chicken Little nonsense.

Well....I apologize to all of you.

Got a flat last night. (Side note: these Hankook Dynapros are, without question, the worst tires at puncture avoidance I have ever owned. I drove my last truck for 6 years and 60k miles and never got a flat. This is my fourth flat in 25k miles with these rubber pieces of Hankook garbage and they have yet to be able to patch one. I’m taking the flat to the shop this morning (thank goodness for full-size spares) and if they can’t patch it, I’m pulling all four and replacing them with Michelin’s.)

Anyway...went to remove the lugs and, wouldn’t you know it, couldn’t get the wrench on because the whole set had swelled. Luckily, a guy I was with had a 4-way wrench in his tool box. The thing worked like a champ and slipped right over the swollen lugs. So instead of buying new lugs, I plan to just buy a 4-way and keep it in the under-floor cargo area. Seems much more cost-effective and will allow me to keep the look of the OEM lugs.

But thanks to all of you for this thread so I knew exactly what was going on when my factory wrench didn’t work.

(Side note #2: the guy also had a floor jack that he offered to let me use instead of the one that came with my Expi. Figured it was faster so we tried it. At full extension, the jack was not able to lift my Expi high enough to get the spare on. He drives an FX4 F250 and is able to use it on his...we were a bit perplexed as to why his jack works on his, but not mine. Surely it’s not because I have superior ground clearance...maybe the suspension is just much softer on mine so the vehicle has a lot further to go up?)

If you read this far, thank you and congratulations. You win 1 gold Internet Coin today.
Go ahead and toss those Hankooks... you’ll be glad you did.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have driven Fords since 2001 and never had an issue with the lugs, so I’ll be the first to admit I thought this thread was a whole lot of Chicken Little nonsense.

Well....I apologize to all of you.

Got a flat last night. (Side note: these Hankook Dynapros are, without question, the worst tires at puncture avoidance I have ever owned. I drove my last truck for 6 years and 60k miles and never got a flat. This is my fourth flat in 25k miles with these rubber pieces of Hankook garbage and they have yet to be able to patch one. I’m taking the flat to the shop this morning (thank goodness for full-size spares) and if they can’t patch it, I’m pulling all four and replacing them with Michelin’s.)

Anyway...went to remove the lugs and, wouldn’t you know it, couldn’t get the wrench on because the whole set had swelled. Luckily, a guy I was with had a 4-way wrench in his tool box. The thing worked like a champ and slipped right over the swollen lugs. So instead of buying new lugs, I plan to just buy a 4-way and keep it in the under-floor cargo area. Seems much more cost-effective and will allow me to keep the look of the OEM lugs.

But thanks to all of you for this thread so I knew exactly what was going on when my factory wrench didn’t work.

(Side note #2: the guy also had a floor jack that he offered to let me use instead of the one that came with my Expi. Figured it was faster so we tried it. At full extension, the jack was not able to lift my Expi high enough to get the spare on. He drives an FX4 F250 and is able to use it on his...we were a bit perplexed as to why his jack works on his, but not mine. Surely it’s not because I have superior ground clearance...maybe the suspension is just much softer on mine so the vehicle has a lot further to go up?)

If you read this far, thank you and congratulations. You win 1 gold Internet Coin today.

Update: it’s patch-able!

Which is good for my wallet, but that means my cheap ass is not going to be putting a whole set of new ones on yet. I’ll have to wait another 6 months until I invariably get my next flat.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update: it’s patch-able!

Which is good for my wallet, but that means my cheap ass is not going to be putting a whole set of new ones on yet. I’ll have to wait another 6 months until I invariably get my next flat.

I put Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms on my old Pilot. Love the ride and performance but hated the ease of punctures. In the three years I had them, I probably had to get patches 2-3 times a year. Although they were always able to fix them, I had never owned tires that got punctured that often.

Depending on how things go here in the next few months, I will replace them. Two things will determine how how soon that will be — Do I keep the stock wheels or replace with 20” ones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here's a question, old thread I know, but I recently ordered new McGard Splinedrives for my after market rims and because of the comments on here had thought about ordering a new set for my factory rims, so the question, when I search on McGard's site for 2019 Expedition ,it gives the option of these

https://mcgard.com/product/chrome-c...ord&vehicle_model=Expedition&vehicle_category

and the bulge nuts

https://mcgard.com/product/chrome-b...ord&vehicle_model=Expedition&vehicle_category

So hex size is the same, length is the same, so why do I want to go with the Acorn style vs the other? Just asking because I can get a set of the other for pretty cheap from a guy, but not worth it if they aren't any good. Thanks for the knowledge!

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So not getting any feedback so thought I'd post a couple pics with it, and please, if anyone has any knowledge on why one won't work with my factory 22" Stealth rims, I'd love to hear from you! Thanks!!

Bulge
Screenshot_20201027-053443_Chrome.jpg

Other
Screenshot_20201027-053521_Chrome.jpg

Thanks again!

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought the ones in the top picture because they are just like the factory. I don't have any info on the bottom pic but in my opinion they don't look like they would seat against the rim properly. (Just my best guess, maybe someone else knows for sure?)