Sunroof stuck open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my moonroof for those long summer drives out to the cabin. Never had an issue with the one in my old Exploder.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Choosing a non-sunroof model in California is difficult when the supply is limited to in-state vehicles that have passed Smog Check. Non-sunroof used models are usually ex-fleet or base models or just too used. In California, sunroofs get opened for most of the year, which is why they're so popular here. I found the youtube video for the step-by-step instructions on how to remove, repair, and reinstall it. I just need about 8hrs without child interruptions to get-er-done.

Congrats on doing the work yourself!

If I had one, I just wouldn't use it myself (even though our summers get really hot too). I like to roll down the windows instead. I'd rather replace a window motor than have to tear the whole interior apart, lol.

Plus I hate how sunroofs take 2-3" off the ceiling. It's not too bad on the big Fords, but some cars/suvs out there are a pain in the ass if you're tall, like the old 90's-2000's GMC Jimmys.

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
Reasonable theory, but after 20 years, tens of millions of complaints (including over a dozen police departments with fleet-wide problems), and at least 3 class action lawsuits, we're still nowhere on the paint, so I think the sunroof issues are a lost cause.

Actually I am! I just got the call from the dealership today. It goes in on February 22nd to FINALLY have the entire liftgate replaced! Least I mention I am the 2nd registered owner of this vehicle, and I did not buy it from this dealership! Holiday Ford in Fond du Lac, WI. Actually it's a three owner vehicle, nobody can figure out who, or where, the first 15,000 miles were put on its odometer, well nobody in the Ford world can answer that question, though it has been answered. This process for me started over a year ago, BEFORE October 2019! That drunk idiot that hit me head on got the hood replaced, my insurance company paid for that. I reiterated that the problem needed to be addressed when it was in for two months for those repairs, I kind of hoped that Ford would have gotten around to it then, but no luck. Then COVID hit, suddenly my paint problems were not at the top of my to do list so that all got parked until the first part of September last year. I had it in for the differentials, and transfer case fluids/grease to be done.

Red the fellow I had been working with was still there, he remembered me, but no longer had the photographs he took of the hood and the liftgate that Ford required to decide if they were going to mess with the issue. And he had to bring it to the attention of the Ford dealership representative, something I could kind of tell he dreaded having to do. That fellow is very dry, monotone, reminded me of what white noise sounds like on a radio turned down. He came out and looked the truck over, maintained his ah, I don't think so, monotone existence, and started in with what I considered disqualifying questions. Telling me that he knew it was a 2016, but was it a first out end of 2015 unit. Was I the first owner, couldn't help it, had to kind of chuckle at that blurb out his monotone mouth! Now don't get me wrong, he was not yet being disagreeable, dry, even, non committal, like he was seeing, and not seeing the issue all at the same time. All things that even this stupid hillbilly would have been just plane ignorant to have not picked up on. I could see his bean counter brane ticking away as he looked things over. In service 5 years, Ford put out a service bulletin about this issue extending the warranty five years from the date of that TSB, which if I recall came out in what 2017, 2018??? Hmmm, 5 years in service, depreciation, wear and tear, tick, tick, tick. Before he finished his thorough look see and the bell fell out the clock tower down on my head. I decided to get all empathetic hillbilly on him. So as he continued to look stuff over, I said kind of low, Ewe, Weee, sucks Ford put their trust in a ISO 9000, 9001, IATF offshore manufacturer that allowed an environmental contaminate to mix with the raw materials and make this headache for Ford. And check this out, this woman here, cause I got her invoice has an Expedition identical to this one, what is even more freaky the mileage on her vehicle is identical +- a few hundred miles to mine. Last fall Ford stepped up and did right by her, replaced both her hood and liftgate. Southern drawl and all came out as I kind of fretted him.

Have to give the man credit, he stayed true to his persona! Told me that the decision was not his to make, that he had to bring it to Fords attention, they would look at the vehicle in service date, Holiday Ford would let me know something in a couple of months, and off he walked. Today, 4 months later I finally got the call, and they are going to put me in a loaner while the fix mine! I have everybody here with the problem to thank, for helping me git mine fixed. Furthermore as it relates tot he time I has taken to get this far, and before anybody says Ford dropped the ball, or they were shuffling along hoping I would just go away. I dropped the ball just as hard, long, slow, and far as anybody! I certainly was not up anybody's backside calling them everyday to get this tended to. All I did that I would consider to be a bit aggressive and proactive was let that factory fellow know I had an invoice from a customer where Ford stepped up and fixed it, generated about the same time as I brought it to the attention of the dealership I was having the same problem.

RogerD1959

2.5 Months Ltr, and Final Bill 22K+
Reaction score
Choosing a non-sunroof model in California is difficult when the supply is limited to in-state vehicles that have passed Smog Check. Non-sunroof used models are usually ex-fleet or base models or just too used. In California, sunroofs get opened for most of the year, which is why they're so popular here. I found the youtube video for the step-by-step instructions on how to remove, repair, and reinstall it. I just need about 8hrs without child interruptions to get-er-done.
[ ]

I have actually watched this thing all the way through. I don't know what Ford did differently on the 1977 Lincoln Town Coupe and Town Cars. My mom had one of those, for 26 years and those cars had a glass Moon Roof as big as a barn door. While the rest of the vehicle was a POS! The only problem she ever had with the sun roof, excuse me, Moon Roof, was around year 20 or so, a leaf got stuck inside the mechanism and clogged one of the drain tubes! How that was discovered is really kind of funny, but its not! Mom was only 5' 3" tall and weighed 99 lbs., soaking wet! She had to sit on two big bed pillows to drive it! From day ONE! 20 years later she has to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting a dog that darted out in front of her, on the way home from having her hair done! The hair is what made her appear to be 5' 11" tall, all tightly teased 8" of it! Guess where all that water was sitting, at least 2 or three gallons of it?! Back over top of the rear seat at the back window! Until she slammed on the brakes, then it must have been Niagara Falls for 15 seconds! Wow! She was livid pissed when she got home! Soaking wet, and cussing up a storm! Something mom rarely did! She loved that car, and would tell anyone that was the only time it ever let her down! All my brother or I had to do was walk up to it, something would bust or fall off, and cha ching! $ 375.00+ to get it fixed! Every 7 to 8 months new brakes and front rotors! Those boats were not something to have if you lived in Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, they weighed almost as much as my expedition, over 4 and a half tons! 5,490 lbs., if I recall correctly. Mom loved the floaty soft sofa ride, and blamed my brother and I for running it through brakes and rotors. She rarely used them, and made it a tradition to acquire a speeding ticket or two every couple of years, letting it float down the mountain in L-2. I hate to guess how many tickets she actually guilted the officers into NOT writing her! If the rest of that car had been built like that sunroof I would probably be stuck driving it today! And I don't know how they fix them if they ever crapped out, it looked like it was welded to the vehicle!

Plastic, it will be the sword that kills humanity! I know for a fact especially after watching this video. Repairing the doggy door sized sun roof in my Expedition will exceed my patience, physical capabilities, and challenge my gimped up, handicapped stamina into an ER visit to do so! I hate the thing, but second time around, you don't get to be picky about what it does or does not have in the way of desirable and undesirable options. So I hope if you just leave it alone like I do, and in the shut tight position, this will not be a repair I am to be faced with? I do need to keep up with this very enlightening video though, so my half brother who cant leave the dam sunroof alone, can see it! Pay me the grand it most likely costs to have the dealership fix it. Now as opposed to when it all goes horribly wrong later as an unexpected repair, and I get the excuse, "I'm Broke!"

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plastic, it will be the sword that kills humanity! I know for a fact especially after watching this video. Repairing the doggy door sized sun roof in my Expedition will exceed my patience, physical capabilities, and challenge my gimped up, handicapped stamina into an ER visit to do so! I hate the thing, but second time around, you don't get to be picky about what it does or does not have in the way of desirable and undesirable options. So I hope if you just leave it alone like I do, and in the shut tight position, this will not be a repair I am to be faced with? I do need to keep up with this very enlightening video though, so my half brother who cant leave the dam sunroof alone, can see it! Pay me the grand it most likely costs to have the dealership fix it. Now as opposed to when it all goes horribly wrong later as an unexpected repair, and I get the excuse, "I'm Broke!"

I got mine back into the closed position as above and haven't touched it since. I even pulled the fuse lest I accidentally hit the button while venting the rear windows. So far it hasn't leaked a drop. I actually tried to avoid the sunroof when I purchased this truck, but the further you get from the base trim level the more likely it is the damn sunroof is going to be there.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never knew why they came up with it; You can see treetops, it lights up the inside, you light up so everyone looks at you, and the breeze can come from the top instead of the sides.:33:...........I don't need it.