Suspension noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFuss

Reaction score
2017 XLT EL

Only noticeable at lower speeds (<20) due to road noise. Seems to be a hollow rattle sound coming from the rear suspension. I’ve been under there a made sure all linkages are stiff and bushings are intact. Even sprayed some lithium grease on the bushings one at a time to see if I could isolate the sound. Nothing seems to make it go away. Can reproduce the sound by lightly pushing on my trailer hitch. Most noticeable at low speeds over less than smooth terrain. Any ideas? Anyone had a strut problem with a 2017 that sounded similar?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

OP
OP
T

TheFuss

Reaction score
Edit. The sound does not increase in speed with the vehicle. It’s always a constant wobble or rattle. Don’t suspect any turning bits involved

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2017 XLT EL

Only noticeable at lower speeds (<20) due to road noise. Seems to be a hollow rattle sound coming from the rear suspension. I’ve been under there a made sure all linkages are stiff and bushings are intact. Even sprayed some lithium grease on the bushings one at a time to see if I could isolate the sound. Nothing seems to make it go away. Can reproduce the sound by lightly pushing on my trailer hitch. Most noticeable at low speeds over less than smooth terrain. Any ideas? Anyone had a strut problem with a 2017 that sounded similar?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

Have you checked for any loose items in the jack storage compartment?

Could the sound be your trailer hitch moving while inside the hitch receiver?

OP
OP
T

TheFuss

Reaction score
I only just put the hitch in to press on and replicate the sound. Usually sits in the garage when not towing. The compartments are all either empty, or items are secured snugly

OP
OP
T

TheFuss

Reaction score
With my kid bouncing on the car I can definitely hear it coming from the underside. Inside the car it’s muffled but still obviously coming from the rear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire