Suspension issues??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tri650

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2017 Expedition Limited and I am having some really wonky suspension issues. It has 82K miles and in pristine condition.

I first noticed that it really wallowed over bumps, meaning it was like a trampoline in terms of the bounce. Then after going over some rough pavement on the highway at about 80 the whole back end felt like it was going to break loose. It lost contact with the road and started to shift sideways. I noticed this a lot as I am just getting back from a 2000 mile trip to North Carolina. Some rough highway roads and it was not fun. Felt I was battling the steering the whole way as it bounced down the road.

I am getting the alignment checked, and I also read the back end issue could be cured with a sway bar. I had a 2010 and had no issues. This has some issues and really not fun to drive in its current condition. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear struts are toast. Mine launched passengers in the third row when rebounding over sharp bumps when they were done. Replace those and enjoy the ride.

ssmock

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2017 Expedition Limited and I am having some really wonky suspension issues. It has 82K miles and in pristine condition.

I first noticed that it really wallowed over bumps, meaning it was like a trampoline in terms of the bounce. Then after going over some rough pavement on the highway at about 80 the whole back end felt like it was going to break loose. It lost contact with the road and started to shift sideways. I noticed this a lot as I am just getting back from a 2000 mile trip to North Carolina. Some rough highway roads and it was not fun. Felt I was battling the steering the whole way as it bounced down the road.

I am getting the alignment checked, and I also read the back end issue could be cured with a sway bar. I had a 2010 and had no issues. This has some issues and really not fun to drive in its current condition. Any thoughts or similar experiences?
Had the same issue on my 2014 with 150 K miles on it. Replaced the front struts and it rides like new. Big difference.

OP
OP
T

tri650

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have read a few different threads on this and Bilstein seems to be the strut of choice. Any opinions on this option?

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have read a few different threads on this and Bilstein seems to be the strut of choice. Any opinions on this option?
I've been running Bilstein 5100s since 75k miles, still ride like new at 176k.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I went with KYB for my rears. Didn't need height adjustment or more stiffness. My E tires already made the ride stiffer.

clf34

Reaction score
I just posted about a similar suspension issue on my 2016. However, mine does not act like a trampoline over bumps, rough pavement but when turning I am rocking like a boat. Hoping to get some answers here on where to start looking. Maybe it could help your issue as well.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
but when turning I am rocking like a boat. Hoping to get some answers here on where to start looking.

Many Members have said the Hellwig sway bars/stabilizer bar (especially the rear sway bar) help those issues.
Put Hellwig in the search box top right of this page to find many threads/posts on the subject.