Swirles in Paint Finish

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Steve Patterson, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Steve Patterson

Steve Patterson New Member

I purchase a used 2015 Black expy. It has lots of swirles in the paint (or clearcoat). It is especially noticeable on a sunny day. Is there anyway to remove them?

2. Adieu

Adieu Full Access Members

Ford paintwork is generally disappointing

I thought it was the low end SSV trim on my '09, but my '12 Lincoln Gator L also has swirls and orange peel galore

3. Trainmaster

Trainmaster Old School Member

Talk to someone in the professional autobody business. Swirls are the result of bad buffing or waxing, not something that comes from the factory, unless some after-assembly touchup was done. There are professional products by major suppliers out there to remove the swirl marks. You'll have to learn to use them, but they work very well and will remove the swirls completely.

99WhiteC5Coupe likes this.
  4. gixer2000

gixer2000 Retrofit or Bust Supporting Member

Any detail shop can handle swirls without issue also there are plenty of "how to" videos on youtube for doing it yourself also. I do my own paint correction but I have a white car so if something isn't perfect I'll probably never notice but a black car in the Sun shows everything.

As for poor paint from Ford, all manufacturers use machines to paint now so you see orange peel on pretty much every new car. I miss the days of a hand painted car where the painter would inspect his work. Now its just an allotted amount of paint/clear per car and it ships unless its really screwed up. Kinda sad

5. rexster314

rexster314 Full Access Members

Swirls are induced by drive through car washes, detailing the car without washing, using rough towels. A buffer and swirl remover is about the only thing that will completely take them out. I buffed out my XLR 2 years ago, and I'm just starting to get swirls back.

6. 1955moose

1955moose Full Access Members

That and have a shop or yourself do a color sand wet with 2500 grit sandpaper, followed by a quality compound, and a buffer with a foam or sheepskin wheel. If your using drive through car washes, stop, and start hand washing, followed by drying with soft towel. As far as wax I use a German wax in the red bottle that's super. Been using it for over 25 years. Name is Klasse.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

gixer2000 likes this.
  7. gixer2000

Color sanding is awesome but you gotta be very careful on the newer cars. The clear coat is really thin so you need to measure the clear coat depth before even thinking about a color sand.

8. Adieu

Nah, Kia has great paint quality control for the cheapies, and the german luxuries are pretty decent about theirs as well

9. gixer2000

I've honestly never looked close enough at a Kia and the German luxuries I would expect nothing less than perfect or very close. Everything else is half assed

10. Adieu

I read an article lol.

About how Kia overcame image concerns to rise to the top ratings, and how their (American!) production facilities prioritize QC now... including checking for something like 38 or 39 different checklist points on the paint work on each panel

gixer2000 likes this.