Swirles in Paint Finish

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pgonza2723

Reaction score
Swirls are created by anything dirt or fallout on the paint being rubbed across it (i.e. rag, automatic car wash, etc etc). Most new cars I've seen in dealers no matter the type has swirls as most all dealers use brushes to wash their cars quickly. There is a few methods to getting them out but more importantly, even after they are gotten out steps have to be taken to prevent from introducing more. Obviously you can hire someone, but if you want to do it yourself here's a few things you'd need:

Porter cable 7424xp
Claybar - brand doesn't matter
PH Neutral car wash
CCS orange/blue/red 5.5" pads
Meguiar's 101 - for correction

Once corrected you can use a finishing glaze or go straight to a topper:

I use Wolfgang finishing glaze

Then you can use a topper. This is usually where you hear people talking about ceramic coatings. I've had great luck with using sealants (usually last about a year):

I use the Wolfgang paint gloss sealant.

As an additional topper I use Beadmaker and apply every other wash.

There is tons of info out there on the methods needs to correct the paint. Depending on how bad it is, it could take 8 or so hours from start to finish. It is kinda like modding though... could take you into a deep dark hole once you start getting into it but the results are worth it.

IMG_3089.png

IMG_3090.png

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Swirls are created by anything dirt or fallout on the paint being rubbed across it (i.e. rag, automatic car wash, etc etc). Most new cars I've seen in dealers no matter the type has swirls as most all dealers use brushes to wash their cars quickly. There is a few methods to getting them out but more importantly, even after they are gotten out steps have to be taken to prevent from introducing more. Obviously you can hire someone, but if you want to do it yourself here's a few things you'd need:

Porter cable 7424xp
Claybar - brand doesn't matter
PH Neutral car wash
CCS orange/blue/red 5.5" pads
Meguiar's 101 - for correction

Once corrected you can use a finishing glaze or go straight to a topper:

I use Wolfgang finishing glaze

Then you can use a topper. This is usually where you hear people talking about ceramic coatings. I've had great luck with using sealants (usually last about a year):

I use the Wolfgang paint gloss sealant.

As an additional topper I use Beadmaker and apply every other wash.

There is tons of info out there on the methods needs to correct the paint. Depending on how bad it is, it could take 8 or so hours from start to finish. It is kinda like modding though... could take you into a deep dark hole once you start getting into it but the results are worth it.

View attachment 28726

View attachment 28727

Great post!!! EVERYTHING causes swirls. All paint has them it's just to what degree and dark colors esp black show the worst.

I have a black show car that has been repainted (softer than oem paint) so this is my wheelhouse!!

I am old school though. I have never used these "new fangled dual action orbital" buffers.
All of my detailing has been with wool pads (7 -8 inch I think) and black waffle or finishing pads.
Clay is good for older neglected paint but not required.

You can get good results by hand too, just takes longer and cramps fingers.

My favorite is PRO brand Ultimate Cutter compound. but Meguiar's untimate compound should be about the same (actually haven't used it....did I day I was old school??)

Also their cleaner wax will do pretty decent.

Clean it well. Hose, bucket, clean sponge or smaller towel, car soap..or at this point even dish soap ok because you are it's ok to strip wax but in future NEVER use any soap that is not car wash soap or baby shampoo on the car.
huh huh...did this old fart just say to use baby shampoo for car wash.
You should see some of the cars I have owned.

Dry it off then at the cleaner wax or compound by hand with a terry cloth round applicator and a good deal or rubbing and pressure. This is where a buffer and an even safer but WAY overpriced d/s orbital works great.
Then wipe/buff off the residue with a clean terry or microfiber towel.
Then I like Zymol blue liquid polish for making pretty.
I buff with foam pad with compound if I am correcting spots swirls etc then do two Zymol applications by hand.
You can just see the rich deep mostly swirl free finish it leaves.

Wipe the last coat of whatever polish you end up using lightly with a microfiber only and be gentle.
Even wiping off the polish puts tiny lines in. You make want to topcoat with a wax. I used to use Meguiar's #26 yellow paste wax. I tried some NXT liquid too.
Never go into sealants or these new ceramic things.
Used some Liquid Glass in the late 80s-early 90s. Not too impressed. The pink Liquid Lustre was actually darn good and smelled great. Beaded water like no other. I used to get teh hose out to DRY my car it is was wet or sprinkled.
Take the end off hose and let water run over finish and it sheeted to complete dryness.

I also have great luck with the California Duster. Every morning at car shows I get the settled dust off top surfaces with it. If lighter, I mist with Quick Detailer, Gold Class black even better and now I think there is Ultimate black bottle one too. Turtle Wax (I know junk right) had them all beat with Emerald Series detailer.

MBohn

Reaction score
Wet sanding is major overkill for your basic clear coat swirls. Wash throughly, clay bar, polish and wax. Polish and wax can be done by hand, but I wouldnt recommend it. A good dual action polisher is the way to go. You can do a whole vehicle in no time, and will get a much better finish.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All that great info is for anything but Ford's with aluminum! Great article though. One other great product to recommend for black or dark colors, is Wizard detailer. Very impressive product. Years back a guy came into my Arco gas station, with a beautiful 49 Mercury in black. Not a scratch on it. When I asked him how come, he said he uses Turkish towels to dry it. That was 1969, and I'm guessing he had it repainted in Lacquer paint. Don't know if it had Lacquer clear coat or Enamel, but it shined like a showroom vehicle.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Machete, the link you sent was for personal disability. Nothing about paint buffing.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Machete, the link you sent was for personal disability. Nothing about paint buffing.

I clicked it just to see....funny
I have a friend in just got a new job and it IS in a hospital...she keeps posting about ED on facebook and all I can think is ED....you know all the commercials...Erectile Dysfunction.
What the heck are they teaching her there????

HEY only post 17 and look where I took this one!!!!!

And due to my typo fingers..DO YOU KNOW...that "here" with a "W" in front of it is a completely different word and slightly different pronunciation style.
So easy to change the whole meaning.
I must need food....hmmm light headed. Helium anyone???

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Fords paint is fine, I thought my 07’ looked shiny the other day so I snapped a pic. Looks good for 12 year old paint to me.

4635D604-67C2-4906-AF03-4686B2F59C41.jpeg