switched 12v wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_z

Reaction score
I'm trying to hook up an XM radio to the factory radio on my 2006 Expedition - when I remove the factory radio from the dash it has three plugs in the back. Does anyone know which of these plugs contain the wire that turns on and off the radio from the ignition switch?(and what the color code is for the switched 12v wire?) I'm trying to set the XM radio to turn off when my factory radio turns off (ie. when the ignition is turned off and the driver's door is opened)

Thanks!

Last edited:

kickapebble

Reaction score
I'm trying to hook up an XM radio to the factory radio on my 2006 Expedition - when I remove the factory radio from the dash it has three plugs in the back. Does anyone know which of these plugs contain the wire that turns on and off the radio from the ignition switch?(and what the color code is for the switched 12v wire?) I'm trying to set the XM radio to turn off when my factory radio turns off (ie. when the ignition is turned off and the driver's door is opened)

Thanks!

Are you savvy with a test light? To be 100% sure, you should use one and determine which wire becomes hot when the key is in the acc/on position. I believe it should be either be orange or blue, but again, not 100% sure without testing. Are you just planning on cutting off the cig. You can locate what you believe to be the correct wire, and just insert the hot leg of your XM into the female connector to verify it works before cutting factory wires.