Sync 3/ Forscan Question in 17 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minimonster17

Reaction score
I am looking into adding an in-console safe on a 17 Expy. Would removing the USB module in the console to add the safe throw codes or cause other issues with the Sync? I could not find the answer with a search.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
I do not know the answer definitively but I think you'd be fine to remove the module, i.e. no errors or codes. An alternative would be to leave the module connected, but hidden or stuffed down further into the center console. You could even have a USB extension that you tuck in somewhere so you can still do updates and/or connect to the Sync system when you want.

OP
OP
M

minimonster17

Reaction score
I find myself continuing to ponder on this. Is there an alternative oem location the usb module is mounted, perhaps on the dash panel somewhere? I imagine the trucks that had these safes installed when built have some sort of other arrangement for the usb module, maybe even a different version of the usb module altogether.

I’m hoping someone here with an in console safe On a 15-17 will post with details on their setup.

3tonsoffun

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am looking into adding an in-console safe on a 17 Expy. Would removing the USB module in the console to add the safe throw codes or cause other issues with the Sync? I could not find the answer with a search.
That usb module is somehow wired directly to the APIM for the sync system so you will probably lose everything that comes with it being connected and functional