SYNC 3 - which version are you at?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johhn14

Reaction score
Thanks LokiWolf. Very helpful.

if it’s fully supported on the current hardware, why would Ford not make this official for us?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks LokiWolf. Very helpful.

if it’s fully supported on the current hardware, why would Ford not make this official for us?

It requires a reformat. That is the extra step. It basically repartitions the storage to allow the newer Version to fit. Also, you are “supposed to” update the firmware also, but as many have discovered, that doesn’t appear to be a hard requirement.

That makes it not easily recoverable. Basically the first part of the process to go to 3.4, erases everything. If after that it had an issue, customers would be without all of Sync 3, like the camera and other functions.

I just don’t think that is anything they are going to publicly release to the user community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did it in My 13 Fusion .... on a 2016 APIM, can't enjoy all the features a 2018+ firmware would offer but I like it.

IBFC2423.JPG

Steven Jilek

Reaction score
When they replaced your APIM modules did your ESN number change? My APIM module was changed and I got a new ESN number. When I go to the sync site to check for updates it goes me my ESN number in invalid.

TXFRDOwner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When they replaced your APIM modules did your ESN number change? My APIM module was changed and I got a new ESN number. When I go to the sync site to check for updates it goes me my ESN number in invalid.

Sounds like They didn’t update the ESN in the Ford database (using IDS)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone have the fix from Ford/Lincoln that allows you to reinstall the map update? I saw something about it on f150forum.com. I updated my 3.0 to version 20204 and everything seemed fine, then restarted and all sorts of issues were present like some stupid charging menu item and a bunch of stuff that didn't seem right. Version said updated to 20204, so I tried putting the usb back in, it started doing more things. After 30 minutes or so, never saw any other message. Ended up doing a master reset, and everything went back to normal, but I noticed that there is no version number by the gracenotes. Tried reinstalling the 1_19 map update, but it gave an error message. Sounds like Ford has a file that you can install that deletes the map file and then allows you to reinstall it again. Didn't know if anyone had that or not. My other thought is to replace the map_new.img and map_ext_new.img files in the .tar.gz with empty files to see if that would do the trick.

Of note my Sync update usb had an interlog_{bunch of numbers} directory with a file utloggingutility.interlog_utility.log on it and had the Sync_{ESN Number}_{VIN}.xml in the SyncMyRide folder.

Ford makes the process way to difficult. I tried several times to update over wifi, but every time I checked it would be "no update found."

Edit: Was able to get Gracenotes installed by stripping out the other tar.gz files and only including the specific file for Gracenotes. Also went much faster by uncompressing the tar.gz file first. Still trying to figure out if the full maps image was installed, but for now it seems like it is working.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone have the fix from Ford/Lincoln that allows you to reinstall the map update? I saw something about it on f150forum.com. I updated my 3.0 to version 20204 and everything seemed fine, then restarted and all sorts of issues were present like some stupid charging menu item and a bunch of stuff that didn't seem right. Version said updated to 20204, so I tried putting the usb back in, it started doing more things. After 30 minutes or so, never saw any other message. Ended up doing a master reset, and everything went back to normal, but I noticed that there is no version number by the gracenotes. Tried reinstalling the 1_19 map update, but it gave an error message. Sounds like Ford has a file that you can install that deletes the map file and then allows you to reinstall it again. Didn't know if anyone had that or not. My other thought is to replace the map_new.img and map_ext_new.img files in the .tar.gz with empty files to see if that would do the trick.

Of note my Sync update usb had an interlog_{bunch of numbers} directory with a file utloggingutility.interlog_utility.log on it and had the Sync_{ESN Number}_{VIN}.xml in the SyncMyRide folder.

Ford makes the process way to difficult. I tried several times to update over wifi, but every time I checked it would be "no update found."

Edit: Was able to get Gracenotes installed by stripping out the other tar.gz files and only including the specific file for Gracenotes. Also went much faster by uncompressing the tar.gz file first. Still trying to figure out if the full maps image was installed, but for now it seems like it is working.

There are multiple Sync 3 threads on here. This one has VERY little info, because it is OLD and hasn’t had constant conversation like others.

Head over to CyanLabs.net download the updater, and follow instructions to download/install the most recent. Start there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are multiple Sync 3 threads on here. This one has VERY little info, because it is OLD and hasn’t had constant conversation like others.

Head over to CyanLabs.net download the updater, and follow instructions to download/install the most recent. Start there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Did that late last night. Full of useful information. Not sure I am ready yet to go full on to 3.4.xxxxx. I did get gracenote loaded this morning. I have read the 3.4 thread quite a bit. Maybe one of these days I will actually try, just a bit concerned about the what if it breaks thing and how warranty coverage is affected, maps and hotspot. Would be nice if there was a format tool to go back to 3.0.xxxxx.