Sync 3 WiFi Hotspot Download Speed Limitation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Either way, I was pretty ticked off about how a third of the trial data was burnt by the downloads and updates for the vehicle's systems (Sync). I have no other data usage to understand how it used up that data on the first day.

Sync is not allowed to connect to the in car wifi.

Rick Anjel

Reaction score
Good to know you're getting better speeds than I am.

I wonder if it is because I have a "trial" account? I may try upgrading to the paid account and see if that increases the speed...if not, I see no reason to keep it.

Anyone else have experience with speeds on their hot spot?

I Agree that there really is no reason to keep it, its very slow! The reason to have it, is for the kids to stream and with the slow speeds that it offers its not capable (I have 3 kids). Once my trial period ends im not renewing.... My Iphone is 5 times faster and what I do is turn on my phones hot spot for the kids Ipads, and they all stream fine....

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that is exactly what you said chief.
I'm so happy you've put me on the straight and narrow, captain.
Doesn't change the fact that the vehicle burnt 3GB of the data in the free hotspot trial before I ever had a device connected to it.

Last edited:

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But it does...this is how cellular devices have updated for years. Only somewhat recently they started pushing updates to wifi only and that's out of selfishness of not bogging the network down with terabytes of system updates when a new one is rolled out to millions of devices. They can then put the burden on you now that they tend to be fairly sizeable.

In a closed system that has a single means of connectivity where else should it get data? The hotspot isnt smart enough to distinguish the data type, you'll likely dont want it to be either unless you like hotspots that catalog everything you do and mine that data for whomever. You wouldnt be happy if you had to hook to your phone to update either and the hotspot cant hook to home router so you're just stuck. If you're using a paid hotspot to offset phone data usage the investment us more than likely in the wrong place. I suggest looking at an upgraded phone plan. I've seen few instances where it makes sense.

Grand scheme of things Ford/ATT are just letting you sample this tech, they fully expect you to pay for it and do not care. After all it is an $80k truck.