Sync 4A WiFi issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpyEverest

Reaction score
Hey fellow Expedition..ers,

Wanted to ask all those with the 15inch Sync 4A or anyone who may have some advice on this really a concern I have on WiFi.

So I have a 23 Timberline, has the Sync 4A with the 15inch screen and I’ve noticed that the WiFi, #1 doesn’t seem to like to auto connect to the WiFi when near..at least sometimes it does but most often it doesn’t but 2 and perhaps more concerning.. it only stays connected for like.. maybe 3-4 minutes? Then I get the WiFi available icon and the “connected to WiFi” icon is gone.. if I wait a long time it sometimes reconnects but I usually get frustrated by that point and try reconnecting.

When I connect it manually the first time it connects fine. Says it was successful, but I have a firewall on my network that is Layer 3 so it’s handling the routing and it shows ZERO activity from the truck when it connects. Like as if it’s not doing anything, not going to any sites or calling out to anything..

I’ve master reset sync, I’ve unplugged the truck from battery and let it sit for about 4 hours, for more than just the WiFi, I also haven’t gotten an update since purchase back in Sept..

And I’ve even used my phone hotspot that while in the truck with SYNC telling me the signal is “Excellent”

I’ve also changed my entire networks addressing because I found one guy say after he changed his to be ***.***.1.*** his WiFi worked..

The truck is brand new sooo I’m hesitant to think it’s faulty but.. maybe it is??

Idk… any thoughts or advice from cyber world?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2020 and mine seems pretty random with connecting to my home wifi and getting updates. I also think my apim is bad/going bad and not sure if that is some of the issue or not. I have an extended warranty and need to try to take it in sometime to have it looked at but it isn't that big of an issue so I'm not stressing it too much.

Flathead40

Reaction score
Hey fellow Expedition..ers,

Wanted to ask all those with the 15inch Sync 4A or anyone who may have some advice on this really a concern I have on WiFi.

So I have a 23 Timberline, has the Sync 4A with the 15inch screen and I’ve noticed that the WiFi, #1 doesn’t seem to like to auto connect to the WiFi when near..at least sometimes it does but most often it doesn’t but 2 and perhaps more concerning.. it only stays connected for like.. maybe 3-4 minutes? Then I get the WiFi available icon and the “connected to WiFi” icon is gone.. if I wait a long time it sometimes reconnects but I usually get frustrated by that point and try reconnecting.

When I connect it manually the first time it connects fine. Says it was successful, but I have a firewall on my network that is Layer 3 so it’s handling the routing and it shows ZERO activity from the truck when it connects. Like as if it’s not doing anything, not going to any sites or calling out to anything..

I’ve master reset sync, I’ve unplugged the truck from battery and let it sit for about 4 hours, for more than just the WiFi, I also haven’t gotten an update since purchase back in Sept..

And I’ve even used my phone hotspot that while in the truck with SYNC telling me the signal is “Excellent”

I’ve also changed my entire networks addressing because I found one guy say after he changed his to be ***.***.1.*** his WiFi worked..

The truck is brand new sooo I’m hesitant to think it’s faulty but.. maybe it is??

Idk… any thoughts or advice from cyber world?
We have a 23 Limited with the same issue, it will connect when I chose the network but will not automatically reconnect. Is yours also on the older version of SYNC 4A? We are stuck on the 22227 release and it shows "no updates" available. There is a significant update to the UI that has been out since October but seems to not have been rolled out to a number of vehicles. Either it is a really slow roll out or there is an issue with a large number of these Expeditions that is causing them not show as eligible for the updates. The WiFi connection issue makes me wonder if it is related to the lack of updates. Next time I bring it into the dealership for service I plan on asking about the Sync updates and this issue to see if they have a resolution. I don't have a lot of faith they will resolve anything since dealers don't like messing with the sync update issues and don't view them as a warranty problem. Unless it warrants an APIM replacement it's not worth their time.

OP
OP
E

ExpyEverest

Reaction score
We have a 23 Limited with the same issue, it will connect when I chose the network but will not automatically reconnect. Is yours also on the older version of SYNC 4A? We are stuck on the 22227 release and it shows "no updates" available. There is a significant update to the UI that has been out since October but seems to not have been rolled out to a number of vehicles. Either it is a really slow roll out or there is an issue with a large number of these Expeditions that is causing them not show as eligible for the updates. The WiFi connection issue makes me wonder if it is related to the lack of updates. Next time I bring it into the dealership for service I plan on asking about the Sync updates and this issue to see if they have a resolution. I don't have a lot of faith they will resolve anything since dealers don't like messing with the sync update issues and don't view them as a warranty problem. Unless it warrants an APIM replacement it's not worth their time.
Yes it is! It’s been on 22277 since I got it and no updates. I actually called Fords OTA team and they told me they didn’t see any updates have ever been sent to my vehicle. Figures…

Yeah you can do it yourself and get an FDRS license and VCM tool, battery maintainer but it’s pretty expensive and some updates can take hours to do which is probably why they don’t like doing it.

But still.. I may get at least the FDRS tool and license and see what updates are available for my truck.. have something to show them to prove it has updates. Idk.

Just frustrating because I want that update you mentioned too. Especially the knob control and dedicated camera button.

Flathead40

Reaction score
I did some more playing around with the WiFi, I noticed it doesn’t even stay connected while the vehicle is running. It disconnects after 2-3 minutes and have to manually reconnect. Seems like there is definitely a software bug either in this version of sync 4a or one of the other modules. I don’t think it is a hardware issue at least not yet.

As far as the updates, I talked to the sync support and they said to make sure the parking brake is set and the headlights turned “off” and to try that for a week or 2 prior to going to a dealer. In my mind that is rediculous, that is not going to resolve anything, but we’ll give it a go anyways. You would think they could just either push the update to your VIN or tell you that it is not available yet for your vehicle and it will eventually get it.

On a side note my 23 F-150 gets them regularly and is on the latest and greatest version and never had to do anything special.

OP
OP
E

ExpyEverest

Reaction score
I did some more playing around with the WiFi, I noticed it doesn’t even stay connected while the vehicle is running. It disconnects after 2-3 minutes and have to manually reconnect. Seems like there is definitely a software bug either in this version of sync 4a or one of the other modules. I don’t think it is a hardware issue at least not yet.

As far as the updates, I talked to the sync support and they said to make sure the parking brake is set and the headlights turned “off” and to try that for a week or 2 prior to going to a dealer. In my mind that is rediculous, that is not going to resolve anything, but we’ll give it a go anyways. You would think they could just either push the update to your VIN or tell you that it is not available yet for your vehicle and it will eventually get it.

On a side note my 23 F-150 gets them regularly and is on the latest and greatest version and never had to do anything special.
Yes that’s exactly what mine does too! That is interesting then, could very well be a software thing.

Though mine according to my firewall isn’t doing anything, I don’t think it likes how my dhcp is set up or something..

But yeah I’ve heard the same crazy process as well. If you face north and do a handstand while balancing on two bowling balls while reciting the national anthem on the 3rd blood moon of the year….you MIGHT get a Sync update. Doesn’t surprise me the F-150 is getting them, that is Ford’s favorite child for sure lol.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it is! It’s been on 22277 since I got it and no updates. I actually called Fords OTA team and they told me they didn’t see any updates have ever been sent to my vehicle. Figures…

Yeah you can do it yourself and get an FDRS license and VCM tool, battery maintainer but it’s pretty expensive and some updates can take hours to do which is probably why they don’t like doing it.

But still.. I may get at least the FDRS tool and license and see what updates are available for my truck.. have something to show them to prove it has updates. Idk.

Just frustrating because I want that update you mentioned too. Especially the knob control and dedicated camera button.
Im in the same position and spoken with Ford twice about it.

To all those who say “take it to the dealer”, that is almost never as easy or convenient as it sounds. Seldom can you get a loaner from a Ford dealer. Asking my wife to take time off work to leave then pick it up is inconvenient and she is an hourly employee.

We paid for over the air updates and we are not getting it. If Ford wants to sell $85,000 vehicles they need to start treating us like thats what we paid.

OP
OP
E

ExpyEverest

Reaction score

To all those who say “take it to the dealer”, that is almost never as easy or convenient as it sounds. Seldom can you get a loaner from a Ford dealer. Asking my wife to take time off work to leave then pick it up is inconvenient and she is an hourly employee.

We paid for over the air updates and we are not getting it. If Ford wants to sell $85,000 vehicles they need to start treating us like thats what we paid.
Facts.. Couldn’t agree more.

Took me 2-3 weeks of just waiting for my Dealer to find me a loaner the first time I took it to them, and that’s after the guy told me he put my name at the top of the list. I can’t IMAGINE how long the wait would have been if he hadn’t done that. Months!?

Asphalt Kid

Reaction score

I agree with jjscsix we paid for the service $$$ COME ON Ford! I went to the dealer today and complained, no updates since June 23 purchase...dealer checked for updates said my 23 Platinum is up todate I disagreed but no resolve...............

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire