The 2008 spark plugs strike again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know its an old thread but HOLYSHIT what a wallet-rape by the dealership.

Geesh.

Plugs - $85 for parts, and figure $400 labor.
Wires - what the hell wires are required?
Coolant Flush - should be less than 1hr labor
Mass Airflow Cleaning - 15 minutes tops
Injector Cleaning - how? With what? Run a bottle of techron through and you'd be good
Power Steering Fluid Flush - Any proof they did this? Why would they do it? 30 minutes tops.
Tire Rotation - $40 at Belle Tire, tops
Oil Change - $40 tops with filter.
Rear Axle Pinion Seal Replacement - is that the seal where the CV shaft goes into the pumpkin? $15 for the part, 2hrs labor tops.
Rear Axle Fluid Flush - There's no flushing; they'd crack the pumpkin open (at worst), let it drain and reseal/re-fill. 30 mins tops.

I'd bet $1000 tops, with $500 being the plug replacement.

:-/

Sorry man.

nauti1

Reaction score
Anyone look into MSD spark plugs? Just wondering if they are 1 piece design. Part # 3716.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know its an old thread but HOLYSHIT what a wallet-rape by the dealership.

Geesh.

Plugs - $85 for parts, and figure $400 labor.
Wires - what the hell wires are required?
Coolant Flush - should be less than 1hr labor
Mass Airflow Cleaning - 15 minutes tops
Injector Cleaning - how? With what? Run a bottle of techron through and you'd be good
Power Steering Fluid Flush - Any proof they did this? Why would they do it? 30 minutes tops.
Tire Rotation - $40 at Belle Tire, tops
Oil Change - $40 tops with filter.
Rear Axle Pinion Seal Replacement - is that the seal where the CV shaft goes into the pumpkin? $15 for the part, 2hrs labor tops.
Rear Axle Fluid Flush - There's no flushing; they'd crack the pumpkin open (at worst), let it drain and reseal/re-fill. 30 mins tops.

I'd bet $1000 tops, with $500 being the plug replacement.

:-/

Sorry man.

The plug wires were mentioned earlier in the thread. I asked an oil change place how much an oil change would be since I was at Discount Tire next door. They quoted me $90. I spend $60 alone in parts. Pinion seal is where the pinion goes into the housing. Where it bolts to the drive shaft. Oh, and the seals for where the CV joints go into the housing were $20 apiece for my little 8.8.

I get what you're saying about the dealer charging, but I just wanted to say some of the prices aren't as cheap as you're thinking.

2007EXPY

Reaction score
My plugs cost me one 9/16 spark plug wrench, one lisle plug extractor a bottle of PB BLASTER and one set of plugs. Less than $200.
Dealer/mechanics quoted me $800 if none broke , upwards if some did. No brainier to do it myself.
It took me some time yet I know they were done right- I would rather do the work myself then have to wait for my cay all day and potentially be ripped off from a mechanic/stealer ship.