The side mirror retracts too far.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Lantz

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of mirrors that clip onto the OEM mirrors to better see when I tow my 29-foot long, 8-foot wide camper. I haven't tried them out but since they were recommended on this site, I expect they will be great.
However, when I lock the vehicle, the passenger mirror retracts too far and the add-on mirror hits the side window glass. The driver mirror does not retract as far so it is okay. Before I tear into the mirror, is there an adjustment on the mirror so it will not retract so far?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of mirrors that clip onto the OEM mirrors to better see when I tow my 29-foot long, 8-foot wide camper. I haven't tried them out but since they were recommended on this site, I expect they will be great.
However, when I lock the vehicle, the passenger mirror retracts too far and the add-on mirror hits the side window glass. The driver mirror does not retract as far so it is okay. Before I tear into the mirror, is there an adjustment on the mirror so it will not retract so far?

Perhaps post the year of your vehicle?

On my 2015 Expedition Limited (3rd generation), there is a mirror reset procedure detailed in the vehicle owner’s manual.

I also believe on some years of the 4th generation models, there was a TSB regarding the folding mirrors.

OP
OP
T

Tim Lantz

Reaction score
Sorry, I should of said that I read the manual and any threads on side mirrors here. I did the reset but sadly, it did not change. Very satisfying ker-thunk though.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the exact same thing happening on my 2018. The reason the passenger hits is that it is adjusted with more of an angle than the driver side (you're not sitting in the center of the truck, you're on the left side). But my just taps the glass and it doesn't move the mirror out of alignment. I haven't found any way to adjust the limit of the mirror movement. You'll either have to live with it or find a way to offset the passenger mirror forward relative to the stock mirror.