Thinking of a 2022/2023 Expedition XLT or Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianM

Reaction score
Hi everyone. The time has come as I have a growing family and am now in the market to consider moving from a Jeep Grand Cherokee to 3 row suv. I really like what I've been seeing with the Expedition XLT and think it could be a good fit. At the same time, there are some things I like about the Limited. I have driven Ford vehicles in the past and opted to go to Jeep on the most recent suv. One must for me is that I would need 4 wheel drive due to being in the snow belt. I would not need the MAX version in either case.

A few questions I wanted to ask you all in here:
1) How has reliability been on the Expeditions in general?
2) Are there any known trouble spots that I should keep in mind?
3) How has the 4 wheel drive performed?
4) Would the Limited trim be worth an upgrade over the XLT?

Any other information that you think may be helpful is appreciated.
For reliability predictions, I usually rely on Consumer Reports, and they indicate the 2023 is expected to have "Average" reliability, which is actually as good as it gets in the Large SUV category.

I've been doing "Build & Price" builds on the Ford website for years in anticipation of one day getting an Expy, and I always come back to the Limited, which seems to be the sweet spot. Not much more expensive than the XLT once you outfit them similarly, and way cheaper than the Platinum.

The XLT is available with the ActiveX (leatherette) material as opposed to real leather in the Limited, but honestly that ActiveX material is pretty nice, and seems like real leather unless you're comparing it side-by-side. I've read it's actually more durable than real leather. For seat material, I think you'd be happy with either one.

litaz1

Reaction score
I have a 22 XLT, I love it. No major issues. The things I wish I had gotten or more cosmetic, as I really wish I’d gone for the stealth package instead of just the blacked out package. 7,500 miles so far, purchased in august.

Dustbunny

Reaction score
Look at all of the service bulletins. Lol spoiler spikes puncturing the roof, transmissions leaking fluid, a new service bulletin just released for the transmission for a different issue. 2 separate service bulletins that burn up transmissions.

The dealerships acknowledge the 22 Expeditions have major problems. Ford overall just ranked dead last in 22 reliability.

Dealerships won’t submit items to warranty because Ford will do chargebacks on them. During Covid Ford changed the way service at dealerships works. Ford hired auditors to go through and look at warranty work that was already done, if the dealership didn’t write a doctoral dissertation on the problem the auditors flag it for chargeback. How do the auditors get paid you ask? Commission off of chargebacks. What has that done to service you ask? Dealerships are gun shy about submitting things to warranty for fear of a chargeback, labor and materials.

Runnnnn
Just so happen to have a close family friend that is the service manager at the local ford house. I asked if he's seen a lot of 22 Expy's coming in for service, and he said absolutely not. I am also well aware of how Ford has changed how service works.
Look at the number of TSB's that were issued for each year of the 2018-2021 Expy's; heck, look at all of the TSB's for Ford in general. It's amazing that any Ford products are rolling on the roads. All of the car manufacturers have a lot of TSB's. They have loaded all of the vehicles with so much wiz bang crap that I'm surprised that any of them run.
Anyone can get a lemon, as we have seen on this forum. I still stand by my statement that you will find many of us that haven't had any major problems with their truck. I guess it just depends on the day it was built and/or the luck of the draw.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at all of the service bulletins. Lol spoiler spikes puncturing the roof, transmissions leaking fluid, a new service bulletin just released for the transmission for a different issue. 2 separate service bulletins that burn up transmissions.

The dealerships acknowledge the 22 Expeditions have major problems. Ford overall just ranked dead last in 22 reliability.

Dealerships won’t submit items to warranty because Ford will do chargebacks on them. During Covid Ford changed the way service at dealerships works. Ford hired auditors to go through and look at warranty work that was already done, if the dealership didn’t write a doctoral dissertation on the problem the auditors flag it for chargeback. How do the auditors get paid you ask? Commission off of chargebacks. What has that done to service you ask? Dealerships are gun shy about submitting things to warranty for fear of a chargeback, labor and materials.

Runnnnn
You're basing your claim off of what? seeing a few service bulletins pop up? The 2018 when it came out (and still does) had service bulletins galore, and not surprisingly so do dozens of other brands. If the '22's have more service bulletins per vehicle sold than other brands, I'd take you more seriously.

Also, that's not at all how chargeback process work. My '22 was audited for the vibration at speed, the only "extra" steps required were a few back and forth conversations with the sr. tech and the ford technical engineers (which took less than 2 days). They then look at what parts were needed and how long it should take to do the work based on what was discussed. They get paid for that labor and materials. Dealerships prefer hourly work vs flat rate work as they charge customers dramatically more per hour than the flat rate cost.

Just so happen to have a close family friend that is the service manager at the local ford house. I asked if he's seen a lot of 22 Expy's coming in for service, and he said absolutely not. I am also well aware of how Ford has changed how service works.
Look at the number of TSB's that were issued for each year of the 2018-2021 Expy's; heck, look at all of the TSB's for Ford in general. It's amazing that any Ford products are rolling on the roads. All of the car manufacturers have a lot of TSB's. They have loaded all of the vehicles with so much wiz bang crap that I'm surprised that any of them run.
Anyone can get a lemon, as we have seen on this forum. I still stand by my statement that you will find many of us that haven't had any major problems with their truck. I guess it just depends on the day it was built and/or the luck of the draw.

there are not nearly as many 22 Expy's in for service at the local dealers. my buddy confirmed the same thing, but the important thing he pointed out is that there are not as many of them on the road either. So it's not really a fair comparison. He said if you really want reliability, get a car with less tech controlled pieces. When the mechanical components are the "cause" the fix is fast and typically straight forward. The tech pieces are typically where things get messy.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So go xlt or limited. Actually most people here with problems are the timberline/limited spps, in particular the ones with the 15in screen.

It seems members with xlts, limited 302 and below don't have many issues. Platinum are a mixed bag, but seem less problematic than the Timberline and spp limiteds.

On the nav forum, problems in the 22/23s are few and far btw from wat I see. Most are electrical niggles, blue cruise operation and running board issues. Those who bought early 22s had more issues than late 22s.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would look at the Platinum before making a decision; aside from BlueCruise, which is amazing, there's many features (such as zone lighting) and upgrades (sync4A, nicer leather, real wood on console, B&O system) that make it pretty close to the Navigator IMO (of which I've had 4).

KetMalice

Reaction score
You're basing your claim off of what? seeing a few service bulletins pop up? The 2018 when it came out (and still does) had service bulletins galore, and not surprisingly so do dozens of other brands. If the '22's have more service bulletins per vehicle sold than other brands, I'd take you more seriously.

Also, that's not at all how chargeback process work. My '22 was audited for the vibration at speed, the only "extra" steps required were a few back and forth conversations with the sr. tech and the ford technical engineers (which took less than 2 days). They then look at what parts were needed and how long it should take to do the work based on what was discussed. They get paid for that labor and materials. Dealerships prefer hourly work vs flat rate work as they charge customers dramatically more per hour than the flat rate cost.

there are not nearly as many 22 Expy's in for service at the local dealers. my buddy confirmed the same thing, but the important thing he pointed out is that there are not as many of them on the road either. So it's not really a fair comparison. He said if you really want reliability, get a car with less tech controlled pieces. When the mechanical components are the "cause" the fix is fast and typically straight forward. The tech pieces are typically where things get messy.
I’m basing it off of my experience and others I’ve dealt with over the last year, and talking frankly with 5 separate service managers.

I’ve had dozens of problems with my Timberline, issues that still persist. The way I found out about the chargebacks was through my headlight issue.

My headlights/blinkers will intermittently stop working. Basically all lights on either side. I have a camera in my vehicle to show the 5 separate service places I’ve taken it to. They can’t seem to ever duplicate it. Even when a couple have seen it, it wasn’t hooked up to the computer to see what was going on and there isn’t a single code thrown. One place replaced my headlight and modules, and that did not fix the problem. They have tested wiring, replaced modules, and basically won’t do anything else to fix the issue. The place that replaced the stuff got charged back because it didn’t fix my problem. They didn’t do the “appropriate” thing according to Ford.

Every single dealership I take it to won’t touch it. They tell me if they do something and it’s still doing it they will het charged back for whatever they do. They won’t even submit it to warranty for fear of chargeback. Ford engineering gets involved and says there’s no issue can’t duplicate, then 2 days later I bring a new video of it doing it, Ford tells me to go to another dealership, and rinse and repeat the same thing.

I can’t even lemon law it through Ford because Ford buyback division will only see the issues that had a successful warranty claim.

Every service manager I’ve talked to has told me the 22’s have tons of intermittent issues that are almost impossible to run down, and they can’t submit warranty claims on stuff that’s intermittent because they truly don’t know if what they do will actually fix it, and if it didn’t fix it then it’s almost a sure charge back.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m basing it off of my experience and others I’ve dealt with over the last year, and talking frankly with 5 separate service managers.

I’ve had dozens of problems with my Timberline, issues that still persist. The way I found out about the chargebacks was through my headlight issue.

My headlights/blinkers will intermittently stop working. Basically all lights on either side. I have a camera in my vehicle to show the 5 separate service places I’ve taken it to. They can’t seem to ever duplicate it. Even when a couple have seen it, it wasn’t hooked up to the computer to see what was going on and there isn’t a single code thrown. One place replaced my headlight and modules, and that did not fix the problem. They have tested wiring, replaced modules, and basically won’t do anything else to fix the issue. The place that replaced the stuff got charged back because it didn’t fix my problem. They didn’t do the “appropriate” thing according to Ford.

Every single dealership I take it to won’t touch it. They tell me if they do something and it’s still doing it they will het charged back for whatever they do. They won’t even submit it to warranty for fear of chargeback. Ford engineering gets involved and says there’s no issue can’t duplicate, then 2 days later I bring a new video of it doing it, Ford tells me to go to another dealership, and rinse and repeat the same thing.

I can’t even lemon law it through Ford because Ford buyback division will only see the issues that had a successful warranty claim.

Every service manager I’ve talked to has told me the 22’s have tons of intermittent issues that are almost impossible to run down, and they can’t submit warranty claims on stuff that’s intermittent because they truly don’t know if what they do will actually fix it, and if it didn’t fix it then it’s almost a sure charge back.

You likely want to speak with a regional service rep. Every ford dealer has to work with one, they are also able to approve more advanced diagnostics and repair work if needed.
Lemon laws are typically sponsored by and run differently from state to state. Typically, if you have a documented proven defect and the dealers cannot rectify it, it usually benefits the consumer.

If they don't fix something, then they should get charged back for the work they billed for but technically never resolved. You as a consumer shouldn't stand for that, and neither should a company paying for a service.

Reaction score
FWIW my 2018 MAX Platinum with 52k miles has been a rolling problem factory. Literally a preposterous number of issues with totally unrelated systems. I guess shame on me for buying first year of a new generation? I don't know how '22s are, or about the TSBs per vehicle sold, but, as a lifelong Ford guy who's built a 1000HP Coyote from scratch and love my Mustang - my Expeditions (had a 3rd gen as well) have been enough to push me away from Ford. I don't know if the grass is greener, maybe it's not, but I just know I can't diagnose/repair my '18 fast enough. We loved it at first over our 3rd gen and want to still love it but my wife wants rid of it and doesn't trust it at all. My latest is a failed water pump (replacing this weekend), and it's also leaking refrigerant from the rear evap... and the 10A transmission was replaced at only 45k miles (total failure - replaced under warranty thank God). Just giving my experience - I hate to give negative feedback and I hope the best for everyone else!