Thinking of buying a 2003 Eddie Bauer, anything I should watch out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you really like the truck and can verify it’s in sound mechanical condition walk in with a cashiers check for $3,500-4 and tell them to take it or leave it. You can always sell your 98 separately, or if you want it traded in lowball them even more.

Well, problem is, I'm not the one with the money- $2,000 of it is mine, but my trade-in and my family's supporting the rest, so I'd have to talk to them about it again, I think I'll certainly suggest this though.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And, yet another question.... my explorer came with a remote that has a lock, unlock, alarm, and rear hatch button, however the rear hatch button didn't do anything so I replaced it with two off of ebay that just have lock/unlock/alarm. Supposedly, the blue rear hatch button does do something on the expedition, so should I keep the four-button remote and leave the three-button ones with my old explorer?

Edit: I just took apart the three-button remotes and the motherboards in them have five switches! They must be able to work on either or, depending on the case they have.

Oh, and I'm still wondering about the remotes, bing isn't giving me much.

autoarcheologist

Reaction score
Oh, and I'm still wondering about the remotes, bing isn't giving me much.
Here's my Lincoln remote. The extra button on yours might be to pop the glass, but if the rear wiper doesn't work the hatch wiring might be broken. That's not a fun or cheap fix.
8b1276e5126016bb639e988eaf1d997d.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's my Lincoln remote. -snip- The extra button on yours might be to pop the glass, but if the rear wiper doesn't work the hatch wiring might be broken. That's not a fun or cheap fix.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Well, here's the ones I have! I hadn't messed with the hatch very much, but the windsheild washer fluid pump in the rear does work, when I was messing with the wiper I poured quite a lot of it down the back of the car, heheh, does that help in determining if the hatch's wiring is okay?

buttons.png

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh lord I killed the battery on the dealership expedition! D:

The rear wiper didn't work, I tried turning it on a few times, and the next time I went to test drive it, it was dead! (which means I have yet to actually test drive the darn thing) Oooh boy... it's one of the things I told them to fix though, so they should uh, cover it.

----------

Anyway, about the other stuff, this is useful to know! I'll keep an eye on all of those things... I live out here in salty, salty maryland, do you guys have any important rust-related advice for me next winter? As of now, I just try to take my car to a carwash at least once a month.

I bet its the same issue I had. I went to unlock the car but hit the blue rear glass button. So I lifted it up and the motor cycled. I thought it was odd, so I tried to move the wiper while the glass was still up (so it wasn't engaged to the motor.) It was very hard to move. I had to take it all apart and put some axle grease in the shaft. It wasn't too hard to do. BTW: I live in Western NY. It's very salty here too in winter. It's why many of my issues are corrosion-related.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bet its the same issue I had. I went to unlock the car but hit the blue rear glass button. So I lifted it up and the motor cycled. I thought it was odd, so I tried to move the wiper while the glass was still up (so it wasn't engaged to the motor.) It was very hard to move. I had to take it all apart and put some axle grease in the shaft. It wasn't too hard to do. BTW: I live in Western NY. It's very salty here too in winter. It's why many of my issues are corrosion-related.

So that blue rear glass button actually does something on the expedition! I think I'll keep that remote then, and program it to the expy, and give away the two others along with the keys. Would silicone lube work on the wiper? I have a can of that stuff to lube windows... and we have WD-40 in the house somewhere too.

Heh, I just feel kinda bad for killing the poor dealership's expedition, but hey now I can say "fix that wiper or I ain't buying it, I need the battery to not die overnight all the time"

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a pic of a factory '03 Expy EB key FOB: Notice the rear window blue button has a SUV-like vehicle on it ....
The battery can be killed if the rear wiper motor is bad or too weak (or wiper shaft is seized....) to "park" the wiper. It will continue to draw power until it reaches the "park" position. The washer fluid to the rear window is supplied by the same pump motor that supplies the front windshield. So all you are confirming is that the rear washer electrical circuit is functioning (along with the single washer pump...). Meaning, the rear wiper/washer circuitry is functioning correctly. The rear wiper motor can be dorked up, but at least the circuitry is intact. To keep from killing the battery you would need to pull the rear wiper fuse, until you can replace the rear wiper motor or latch/wiper shaft assembly.

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-6L1z17c426a-Hatch-Glass-Striker/dp/B009JMCXE6#customerReviews

g0qkv7.jpg

Last edited:

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So that blue rear glass button actually does something on the expedition! I think I'll keep that remote then, and program it to the expy, and give away the two others along with the keys. Would silicone lube work on the wiper? I have a can of that stuff to lube windows... and we have WD-40 in the house somewhere too.

Heh, I just feel kinda bad for killing the poor dealership's expedition, but hey now I can say "fix that wiper or I ain't buying it, I need the battery to not die overnight all the time"

It's possible. However, if you're going to go through all that trouble you may as well get a good lubricant that won't dry out. I seem to remember having to pop the panels off just to get at it. I had grease handy for my trailer hubs and that worked quite well. I check it every now and then.

For all you know someone traded it in because of the parasitic draw and didn't want to spend potentially hundreds in tracing it down. Lucky for you, it seems to be a known issue. As far as the dealership goes, I'd offer to buy it with the problem if they take a few hundred off. Maybe they might drop the price if they didn't have to deal with it. I wouldn't tell them you know how to fix it.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I found the YouTube video. I didn't have to pull panels. I did have two remove a part that was on the rear windshield. It was a bit scary because this part is mounted to the glass. Once it was out, I cleaned it up and disassembled it. Put the axle grease in the tube and put it all back together.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's possible. However, if you're going to go through all that trouble you may as well get a good lubricant that won't dry out. I seem to remember having to pop the panels off just to get at it. I had grease handy for my trailer hubs and that worked quite well. I check it every now and then.

For all you know someone traded it in because of the parasitic draw and didn't want to spend potentially hundreds in tracing it down. Lucky for you, it seems to be a known issue. As far as the dealership goes, I'd offer to buy it with the problem if they take a few hundred off. Maybe they might drop the price if they didn't have to deal with it. I wouldn't tell them you know how to fix it.

Man, that sounds amazing! I once got a bike when I was a kid, because, get this, the chain had fallen off of the gears. That was the only reason! That bike lasted me for years, and if the chain ever slipped off, all I needed was a stick and I could fix it myself!

I found the YouTube video. I didn't have to pull panels. I did have two remove a part that was on the rear windshield. It was a bit scary because this part is mounted to the glass. Once it was out, I cleaned it up and disassembled it. Put the axle grease in the tube and put it all back together.

Looks easy enough! Youtube videos on how to repair stuff are one of the best reasons to visit the site :)