Thoughts after first tow, and how fast do you tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amacron

Reaction score
what size blue ox did you go with? They appear to have fewer levels to choose from. It would seem to be between the 1000 and the 1500. I’ve heard going too high on rating can bend trailer frames. Not sure what to believe on that.
1500 blue Ox. Haven't heard anything about the to high bending the trailer. The dealer set it up and they gave us the 1500. Our TT max GVWR IS 9480. Maybe they error on the side of caution because we could be so close to the 1000lbs tongue weight.

Last edited:

flying68

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Limits on my Platinum Max:

Steer axel 3,550
Rear Axel 4,380
Payload 1,632
GVWR. 7,720

I was pretty much right at the max weights. I didn't calculate the round weight.

the trip was doable, but that being said. I am looking into a 250/350 just so I dont have to worry to much about the weight.
So you basically were maxed out on total weight, given the error margin in the scales. I find it curious that the Max's get 175 lbs higher rating on the front axle and that goes directly into the payload capacity. GVWR is only 270 more so minus the extra payload the Max weighs 95lbs more. Not sure why the short body didn't get the same payload and GVWR. Especially when the short body gets 200 more lbs of tow rating, but cant use it because you are limited by tounge weight if you have people inside.

170lbs avg per person x 4 = 680 lbs
9200 lbs x 10% = 920 lbs tongue weight
680 + 920 = 1600 lbs which is 110 lbs over for a short. A max would still have 50 lbs on a 9000 lb trailer.

Realistically I would have to be around a 6400 lb trailer with people and gear (640 lb tongue weight plus 850 lbs of people and stuff).

I always found that commercial for the Expedition pulling a loaded 2 horse trailer while having 8 people inside kind of laughable. You have probably 5000 lbs in of trailer weight (2500 lbs trailer, 2500 lbs of horses), plus 3 dudes in the back that are likely 200 lbs each, that is like 1100 lbs on that rear axle. The other 5 add about 600 lbs or so. You are looking at close to 1200 lbs of passengers plus 500 lb tongue weight. I am sure they made sure it was exactly on the payload capacity, but kind of a limited case.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find it curious that the Max's get 175 lbs higher rating on the front axle and that goes directly into the payload capacity. GVWR is only 270 more so minus the extra payload the Max weighs 95lbs more. Not sure why the short body didn't get the same payload and GVWR. Especially when the short body gets 200 more lbs of tow rating, but cant use it because you are limited by tounge weight if you have people inside.

It’s probably due to the longer wheel base bridging the weight differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's my setup. 2019 XLT, no HD tow package. Have the Blue Ox 550 WDH. Trailer has a GVWR of 4200lbs. Just came back from Yellowstone, did 70mph there and back(except where I couldn't due to speed limit). Averaged about 11mpg - roughly 250 miles per tank. Used cruise control about 85% of the time. Honestly, I'm disappointed in Ford for not offering a larger fuel tank as an option. I sure miss my F-150 and its 36 gallon tank.

70IZlr-n0_AG4lhi0M1nTatA=w2420-h1815-no?authuser=0.png

Last edited:

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a 2008 Expedition and I'm thinking about getting a Travel Trailer..Outdoor rv 26 Footer weighing in at 7300lbs I know I've got to get all the extras to go along with the purchase, I just don't want to get to much of a trailer..the 08 is rated to haul between 9000-9300lbs any thoughts on how much of a trailer I should be looking at?
Tongue weight is likely to be an issue as the ORVs are tongue heavy. Ours is about 18% of trailer weight. Which model are you considering?

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's my setup. 2019 XLT, no HD tow package. Have the Blue Ox 550 WDH. Trailer has a GVWR of 4200lbs. Just came back from Yellowstone, did 70mph there and back(except where I couldn't due to speed limit). Averaged about 11mpg - roughly 250 miles per tank. Used cruise control about 85% of the time. Honestly, I'm disappointed in Ford for not offering a larger fuel tank as an option. I sure miss my F-150 and its 36 gallon tank.

70IZlr-n0_AG4lhi0M1nTatA=w2420-h1815-no?authuser=0.png
It may just be the photo, but your trailer looks nose high. You may want to lower the ball.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, is there anybody on this forum who didn’t just get back from Yellowstone? We just got back after stopping in Grand Teton for a week. Our trailer is an 18’ box and 6000lbs, but about 900lb tongue weight. I tow at 70mph, slowing down for curves and speeding up to 75 to pass. Note that we’re running Goodyear Endurance tires on the trailer as they are rated to 87mph. We have a cheap EZlift elite with upgraded 1400lb bars.

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It may just be the photo, but your trailer looks nose high. You may want to lower the ball.
That's as low as she will go on that shank. Notice, however though, that both propane tanks are missing. Also, I had no gear inside. She levels out with weight. From what I read, I can drop the TT tongue down by reducing the number of links on the Sway Pro. But from a measurement standpoint, the trailer tongue is 2" exactly lower than the ball when standing on it's jack leveled out. That's inline with how Blue Ox says it should be.

Last edited: