Thoughts after first tow, and how fast do you tow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's as low as she will go on that shank. Notice, however though, that both propane tanks are missing. Also, I had no gear inside. She levels out with weight. From what I read, I can drop the TT tongue down by reducing the number of links on the Sway Pro. But from a measurement standpoint, the trailer tongue is 2" exactly lower than the ball when standing on it's jack leveled out. That's inline with how Blue Ox says it should be.
That's as low as she will go on that shank. Notice, however though, that both propane tanks are missing. Also, I had no gear inside. She levels out with weight. From what I read, I can drop the TT tongue down by reducing the number of links on the Sway Pro. But from a measurement standpoint, the trailer tongue is 2" exactly lower than the ball when standing on it's jack leveled out. That's inline with how Blue Ox says it should be.
The correct solution is to buy a new shank with more drop. Here’s the one I use: Equal-i-zer 92024214 Adjustable Shank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZS95KI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_UANDmlDlDhLMR

WESIII

Reaction score
View attachment 36913 Just completed a 4630 mile trip out to Yellowstone and back. Avg 9.4 MPG towing an 275BH TT. Traveled 65 on cruise control. absolutely no sway.
I was just under the max weights. We carefully weighed everything we put in the TT. Including the propane tanks and battery. It came out to 550lbs. The TT drywight was 6480. The TT GVWR is 9480. I had it weighed at the cat scale. With everyone in the expy plus full of gas. I was at the following weights

steer axle 3400
Drive axle 4380
Trailer axle 6560
Total axle 14340

have the blue ox WDH.
I have a 2019 platinum max with the HD tow package. Watched the transmission temp. It ran 214. On the entire trip only had one rather steep grade. Where the max transmission temp hit 243 for about 2 min. Then started back down.

Really like the clean lines of your TT. We're looking for a bunkhouse also. I googled 275BH, but couldn't find your exact model. What brand manufacturer is it?

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is my "first tow report"...

We're in the Phoenix area and we went to Williams, AZ this past weekend (which is a hub on Route 66 / near the West entrance to Grand Canyon NP) and here are some facts and some of my takeaways from my first time towing with my 2019 Limited 4WD (with HD trailering package)...

Camper: 2019 Jayco X23E Hybrid (~6200# loaded up)

1) This engine is amazing. PLENTY of power towing. Not once did I feel like I didn't have the muscle to pass or climb.

2) Gas mileage SUCKED ...but it usually does when towing a brick that is 13' high and 25' long. We went from 1100' above sea level (Phoenix) to 8600' ...and I got 9.1 mpg going up and still only 9.6 mpg coming back. BUT, the wind was ridiculous and seemed like I was constantly fighting a headwind, no matter which direction on the compass I was headed. For a period of time (60 miles), after a fill-up and on "flat land" ... I saw 12.5 mpg.

3) I live in a HOT climate ...and my transmission fluid temps proved that fact. Leaving the Phoenix valley (at 100F), we saw 236F fluid temps climbing one of the bigger grades on the way to our destination. Coming home, I took an alternative route with only ONE "serious climb" and we saw 246F fluid temps ...just a couple of ticks short of "oh shit." IDK what the 10-speed tranny can withstand. My Allison in my truck wouldn't balk at 280-300F fluid temps, but I was CLOSE to triggering alarms on my Expy's gauges / dash. So, my commentary is that that you stick to 50mph or less on serious uphill grades.

All said and done, in spite of the paltry gas mileage, I am quite happy with my Expy at ~70% towing capacity.
View media item 7189

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But that would take weight off the front axle.
The correct solution is to buy a new shank with more drop. Here’s the one I use: Equal-i-zer 92024214 Adjustable Shank https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZS95KI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_UANDmlDlDhLMR
The blue Ox has the same shank.
Ok so I found a shank made by blue ox that allows for another 2.5 inches maximum adjustment. So I'll get it and see if that fixes it. I pulled the unit out last night and still has a 1" lift at the front of the trailer even with gear up front. Kind of disappointed that the standard 7 hole shank isn't enough for my Expy. My guess is that if my trailer had a higher ground clearance, I wouldn't be facing this issue.

Last edited:

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great summary @Greg Parker! I’m pulling out for a 5 day river trip with a 30’ KZ Sportsmen borrowed from a friend this Thursday. Looking forward to seeing gas mileage and trans temps during the journey. This will be the first trip near load limit with this rig.

Last edited:

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great summary @Greg Parker! I’m pulling out for a 5 day river trip with a 30’ KZ Sportsmen borrowed from a friend this Thursday. Looking forward to seeing gas mileage and trans temps during the journey. This will be the first trip near load limit with this rig.

AAOO ...I reckon I forgot to mention that I ran 65-70mph on the "flat lands" and 50-55mph on the serious uphill grades. The trans temps I saw definitely concerned me when climbing grades ...I think I'm going to have to pull back to 35-45mph on the big hills ....with my 6200# setup. So, with that heavy bugger you're going to pull, I would definitely recommend slower climbing speeds (even if it annoys the heck outta ya, like it does me). These Expy's are fully capable of running 70+ mph up a steep grade ...engine-wise ...but I just don't think the 10-speed transmission can take it (like an Allison or Borg-Warner). Definitely hunt around for a speed that keeps the fluid temps below 235F (JMHO).