Timing chain guide broke and valve cover cracked.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeGloria81

Reaction score
I have a 2005 expedition and the timing chain guide broke and the chain cracked the valve cover. After I took off cover I found small pieces of black plastic all over. So I'm taking it all apart to change the timing chain and phasers but do I have to worry about any little pieces left behind? After I put back together or do I just pull off oil pan and clean that out. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Yea pull the oil pan off and clean the oil pick up screen too. Be careful not to over tighten the chain tensioners the gaskets on them easily break and there goes your oil pressure. Use OEM parts over any other brand if you can afford it. Change your oil pump while you're at it, melling 10340 is what you want. Use fordtechmcloco channel to guide you on YouTube itll help you go at it visually step by step.

Good luck bud, and find yourself another ride while yours is getting the repairs.

OP
OP
M

MikeGloria81

Reaction score
Yea pull the oil pan off and clean the oil pick up screen too. Be careful not to over tighten the chain tensioners the gaskets on them easily break and there goes your oil pressure. Use OEM parts over any other brand if you can afford it. Change your oil pump while you're at it, melling 10340 is what you want. Use fordtechmcloco channel to guide you on YouTube itll help you go at it visually step by step.

Good luck bud, and find yourself another ride while yours is getting the repairs.
Yeah i got an f150 and a mustang .but just bought it for the family trips.

OP
OP
M

MikeGloria81

Reaction score
You think i have to pull any heads?

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
You think i have to pull any heads?

No.

Beside the obvious wiring harness, throttle body, etc... The big ticket items to be removed are Valve covers, front timing cover And to gain access to the oil pan the cross member too has to come out.

Do one side at a time. Start on top, finish up there then before bolting everything back start the bottom and clean everything including replacement of the oil pump. Then bolt the oil pan back on, keep the crossmember off still though in case you drop anything or something goes wrong, go back to top and bolt everything back up, do a little prayer that everything is gonna go ok and when all done start it up and determine if you have achieved the results you were hoping for, if so replace crossmember then go for a test drive.

OP
OP
M

MikeGloria81

Reaction score
No.

Beside the obvious wiring harness, throttle body, etc... The big ticket items to be removed are Valve covers, front timing cover And to gain access to the oil pan the cross member too has to come out.

Do one side at a time. Start on top, finish up there then before bolting everything back start the bottom and clean everything including replacement of the oil pump. Then bolt the oil pan back on, keep the crossmember off still though in case you drop anything or something goes wrong, go back to top and bolt everything back up, do a little prayer that everything is gonna go ok and when all done start it up and determine if you have achieved the results you were hoping for, if so replace crossmember then go for a test drive.
I was just wondering if i cant find all the little pieces of plastic. Didnt know if that would cause any damage if some was left inside.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Little pieces get stuck in the screen of the oil pick up tube, which in turn reduces oil pressure and oil pressure is the number one killer for these 3 vavles motors.

Trust me I learned this the hard way. I replaced my entire timing set and never took the oil pan off, less than two days later I lost all oil pressure cause of the piece pictured below (broken part of the guide) the one with the tape measure, it was stuck to the screen of the pick up tube blocking at least 75% of my oil pressure... That little piece plus a few other smaller pieces cost me an ENTIRE engine!
image.jpeg

Also as you can see I also replaced the water pump, thermostat, VCT's, fan clutch, oil pump, and obviously an entire timing set

image.jpeg

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
This is the price I paid for not checking my oil pan. I think I more than made my point by now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

TxSed8r

Reaction score
Habbibie is exactly right. I did the same thing and ended up tearing it apart a second time only to find all of that pieces were in the oil pick up screen. You don't have to pull the heads. All of the crap that broke is in the oil pan/pick up screen. It can't make it past that point to circulate through the motor, but it will completely choke out the oil flow from the pan.

Kratos

Reaction score
thank you for this responses. it helped me a lot with my business (here). And hi everyone