Tire pressure warning '17 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stotadude

Reaction score
I got a low tire pressure warning today which happened to be a very cold temperature start (-1 F). When I finally got to a gas station with a working air pump I found all of my tires low and at least one in the low 20's. I admit I don't regularly check my tire pressures but I have never had an instance when all my tires were in such a sad state. I'm 70 yrs old and learning how the new air filling stations work was definitely a learning experience. It got me to thinking that if the vehicle is smart enough to tell me I'm low on air, could it be modified to tell me tire pressures in each tire? I know you can do some programming with an OBD and Forscan, is this something possible?

2017 Limited 4wd, 6cyl

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a low tire pressure warning today which happened to be a very cold temperature start (-1 F). When I finally got to a gas station with a working air pump I found all of my tires low and at least one in the low 20's. I admit I don't regularly check my tire pressures but I have never had an instance when all my tires were in such a sad state. I'm 70 yrs old and learning how the new air filling stations work was definitely a learning experience. It got me to thinking that if the vehicle is smart enough to tell me I'm low on air, could it be modified to tell me tire pressures in each tire? I know you can do some programming with an OBD and Forscan, is this something possible?

2017 Limited 4wd, 6cyl

There's 3 flavors of system for some reason... I've seen a Nissan just tell you actual numbers for each wheel, BMW with stem sensors shows green-yellow-red, Ford at least the older '09 just shows you a warning light (which isn't actually air pressure but calculated from how each wheel hub spins vs the rest, so wobbly rims will also trigger it)... same light-only on my dad's '08 Mercedes

Nissan system is least naive user friendly but best for advanced users

Sure would be nice to have

PS except for the one tire, you're not actually low on air... you just filled em in much warmer weather, it changes like 1 psi per 10 degrees or so. Same crap with elevation... makes for a wacky situation if you go on a summer road trip and go up the mountains between Nevada and Idaho, between the elevation and the hot summer temps, your tires can shoot up like +12 psi

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Severe temperature drop will decrease marginal tire pressure to the warning trigger point. Had this happen in a rental car a couple of winters ago. (I can run 500 miles or more in a rental for less than the fuel costs of my Expedition!).

I looked in Forscan but can't find a way to display actual tire pressure on the Expeditions. Missing some module that the F150s have.

"Nobody" checks tire pressure, hence the built in warning. And with 10,000 mile/1 year service schedules ya gotta check tire pressure more often than that. :) Time for a good tire pressure gauge and one of the $50 air compressors from Walmart. Will handle the truck, your wife's BMW, bicycles, lawn mowers, trailers, etc. Monthly check takes less than 5 minutes per car.

72-27a233c9c74a_2.91a533cf979cbd9d3be7cb268b6f7ab2.jpg

-- Chuck

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stotadude

Stotadude

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. For the time being I will be more diligent about checking air in my tires. Still a little puzzled as I have been driving for 45 years and have owned most domestic makes and never experienced (was made aware of) low air at 0 degrees. We occasionally get 20-30 below (ccccold) and tires may thump a bit but air pressure just didn't appear to be an issue.

Helo driver

Reaction score
My idiot light goes off at 28 psi. Any drastic temp drop sets it off. My wife’s ‘16 MKX has a display showing psi for each tire position which is real nice. Not sure why they couldn’t do the same for the Expy..

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I'd only expect tire pressure to drop 3 maybe 4 degrees in very cold temperature. 28psi is significantly low in my case as cold tire pressure requirement is 35psi. The only car that's ever triggered this indicator for me was a daily rental one winter. I don't obsess over tire pressure but do check it once a month... or so. :)

-- Chuck

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
GM trucks shows psi in each tire. Tire pressure will drop in cold weather. Its best to check/add after the first cold day. Nitrogen inflation claims to deter this. Aircraft use it, because they fly at -50. However air is 78% nitrogen. I'm not sure its worth it. I check mine about every 6 weeks. 2 or 3 are always 4-5lbs low. One tire seems to never lose anything. I fill them to 37lbs. It gives me a longer time aired up. They also make 'pressure' valve caps. I bought some that turn from green to red, when air drops below 36lbs, Ebay $5. They are kind of big, but it is only on my spare.