Tire Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derp

Reaction score
Wildpeak AT3W are getting some good reviews on here, particularly in snow. I'll be taking a close look!

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I liked the Goodyear tires on my Expedition. I went with the trailrunners. My 3 picks were:
  • Duratrac: Rugged tire great for traction and off-road. Some reported a 1-2 MPG loss though. Some also report road noise.
  • Fortitude: Treads favors on the road highway use. Low noise. Great fuel economy.
  • Trailrunner: Characteristics of both tires. Has aggressive tread, but also great for highway use.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll never buy coopers again after my experience with my last set. They didn’t hold a candle to the Michelin’s and FireStones I’ve had. I never did the Discoverers though. The tread wore down fast, sidewalls started dry rotting at about 8 months old, and they got loud. The set the coopers replaced had no issue besides normal wear.

They must have sold old new stock which explains the dry rotting. I would have just bought factory take offs at that point.

Last edited:

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Michelin LTX M/S2. Not cheap, but fantastic tire. Screamingly good reviews. Rotate them regularly and you’ll easily get 60k miles and then some. Very comfortable and super quiet.

Now I’m coming from LA freeway/city driving where the worst I get is some rain mixed with oil on the road. So for that driving, great tire.

But when I lived in NY, the Pirellis definitely had an advantage in the snow. Yes, you do burn through them faster, but if you rotate every oil change (or every other) you’ll get your money’s worth. That’s not to say the LTXs were bad in snow; they faired well. But the Pirellis bit into snow like no ones business.

If you have a Costco membership, check them out. I keep my membership active just for their tires. Any tires you buy come with free rotates and nitrogen for life. (No one really needs nitrogen but I’ll take it for free lol)

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don’t want to pay through the nose you can always buy new factory take offs too. No wear and 30%+ off. I looked into that avenue as well.

Kjhawkeye1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally adding pics of my new tires that I got mounted to 2017 Raptor wheels. They are the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT (285/75R17) and they are great. Got a sweet deal of buy 3 get 1 free.

48995169788_022ac49743_k.jpg
48995169648_d507548559_k.jpgIMG_20191002_094744