Tires question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian McIvor

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this but…

I have a 2011 Expedition Limited.

I have Goodyear Wranglers on the front but due to budget restraints, bought some cheap Chinese bombs for the rear.
Ever since I did, the handling of the truck has gone to pot and seems ‘sloppy’ if that makes any sense. The Chinese tires are holding up well as far as tread on the lake, however when I’m at high speed it seems to want to travel a little bit and like I said it seems sloppy. Is it some thing as simple as mismatch tires?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I have Goodyear Wranglers on the front but due to budget restraints, bought some cheap Chinese bombs for the rear.
Ever since I did, the handling of the truck has gone to pot and seems ‘sloppy’ if that makes any sense. The Chinese tires are holding up well as far as tread on the lake, however when I’m at high speed it seems to want to travel a little bit and like I said it seems sloppy. Is it some thing as simple as mismatch tires?

Goodyear Wranglers have pretty awful handling. It's hard to imagine there's something out there that much worse. I ran the Wrangers for several years simply because they were on my Explorer when I bought it and were also on the replacement vehicle (Mountaineer) when I bought it.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless it's worn inner tie rods and lower ball joints. How many miles on the Expy ? The tires are all the same size right ?

OP
OP
I

Ian McIvor

Reaction score
Unless it's worn inner tie rods and lower ball joints. How many miles on the Expy ? The tires are all the same size right ?
Hi there. 137K. Two front tires are Goodyear’s and the back two are Chinese from Amazon. I took the size from the front Goodyear when I bought the Chinese.
Hard to explain when I say sloppy. For example, driving at speed and you give the steering a little semi hard correction…it takes the body a second to catch up with the sway. Make sense? I’ve never noticed that until I put the two on the back.

OP
OP
I

Ian McIvor

Reaction score
swap em & see how that works

personally i only run 4 identical tires cause i dont wanna die
Well, I didn’t have the money to put two Goodyear’s on and this is the spare vehicle…but I understand what you’re talking about…thus the reason for for the question.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Like ManUp, I've found the Wranglers to be very noisy and poor handling. I've had some Chinese tires that were so bad I wouldn't ever consider running ANY of them. Some are outright dangerous.

If I were you, I'd check my suspension for wear (as mentioned above) and if all's okay, as also mentioned I'd swap the tires front to back and see if it makes a difference. I'd also check my pressures with the ones on the door jamb using a real (not a $3) pressure gauge.

You haven't mentioned alignment. Was the truck ever hit? Are the tires wearing evenly? Poor tracking can be caused by alignment or wear in the REAR suspension parts as well as the front ones. Go over the suspension well, checking every busing and moving part.

And yes, mismatched tires can but not always cause poor tracking. You may have a bad combination of completely different tire designs that aren't working well together.

If all else fails to find a problem, I'd start saving for a set of newish real quality tires take-offs from an F-150, Tahoe or Suburban or new tires.

As they say, the laws of physics aren't subject to the laws of economics. Sometimes if you can't afford the stuff to make your truck run right; it just won't, eh, run right.

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I had this issue with Hankooks. They're generally decent tires to my knowledge, but at speeds above 75 the vehicle felt very unstable. The problem went away completely when I upgraded to Cooper AT3s. If you only noticed the issue after replacing the tires, it's probably the tires. Perhaps try adding some air and see if that helps.

OP
OP
I

Ian McIvor

Reaction score
I had this issue with Hankooks. They're generally decent tires to my knowledge, but at speeds above 75 the vehicle felt very unstable. The problem went away completely when I upgraded to Cooper AT3s. If you only noticed the issue after replacing the tires, it's probably the tires. Perhaps try adding some air and see if that helps.
Ok. It’s super weird that it started out the blue. It’s almost as if the sideways on the Chinese tires are not strong and ‘give’ to much. In any case, still frightens me. I’ll look around and see what I can find. This truck doesn’t get a ton of use so I always find it hard to spend a ton of money on it to see it sit.